RAID Config

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MedPodRDX, May 7, 2018.

1. MedPodRDX

MedPodRDX MDL Novice

May 7, 2018
    Hello guys!

i wish someone could explain to me these informations that appears first when my computer starts

thanks in advance
    (to mods : sorry if this is not the right place to post this - please move it if this is the case)

Attached Files:

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #2 John Sutherland, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Hello @MedPodRDX and welcome to the MDL forum - You have a RAID1 configuration where one disk maintains a "mirror" of the other, providing data redundancy in case of a disk failure. When you see "Degraded" listed as the status for the mirror disk: a.) It could mean the disk is not connected properly. b.) The disk might be failing. c.) It can also mean that for some reason the second drive is simply having trouble maintaining a "mirror" copy of the first. So, to troubleshoot the problem:

a.) Open up the case and check the SATA connections on both ends of the cable, one or both may have simply come loose. If that doesn't solve the problem, you might be dealing with a bad cable. Try swapping the existing cable with one that you are 100% certain is good. Notice that I didn't say "buy a new cable". Either use one you are certain is good, or test a brand new cable first before using it. Never assume a cable is good because you just took it out of the box and it's brand new!

b.) When was the last time you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of either disk? Pay particular attention to S.M.A.R.T. attributes #5, #196, #197, and #198. If the raw value is >0 for any of these four attributes, it indicates that disk sectors on the drive are either in the process of failing or have already failed. It will be necessary to replace the hard drive. If you purchased both disks at the same time, it might not be a bad idea to replace both now. Consult your mobo owner's manual on how to replace a disk and the BIOS settings necessary to rebuild the array. Also consult Intel's documentation on how to configure their RST software, if that's what you're using. NOTE: Depending on the size of the drives, rebuilding an array can take one hour or more. Try not to use the machine during that time.

c.) If neither of the above turns out to be the cause of the problem, it might simply be that you're the cause. The mirror disk tries to maintain a copy of the first as best it can, but you have to observe good habits in order to help it do it's job. If you're in the habit of booting up and shutting down your machine every time you use it, six or seven times a day, that's not the ideal situation for RAID1. Get into the habit of turning your machine on in the morning and leaving it on all day. Also, if you're in the habit of defragging your drive daily (or worse, hourly!), stop doing it. Once a week or once a month is more than adequate. And after you defrag the OS disk, don't shut the machine down immediately. Leave it on for a while and give the mirror disk a chance to catch up with the changes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MedPodRDX

MedPodRDX MDL Novice

May 7, 2018
    Thanks for your help guys. i really appreciate

Fact is there is only one hdd in this computer.This computer is connected in local network to a Agfa NX Workstation and a CR (digitizer) unit
    My brother bought it like this and we don't know if a previous hdd was removed or not

Why is it connected in RAID?
    is it mandatory for the NX workstation to work?

My second question:
    i intend to make a full backup for this hdd with Macrium Reflect Server Plus

1- Would the backup save the raid configuration too?
    2- If i create a full hdd backup, would it work if i replace the old hdd with the new one?

BTW. Do someone have some experience with backup & restore a hdd that contains the Agfa NX Workstation?
    i would appreciate to discuss about this with anyone who might have such experience

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #4 John Sutherland, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Deleted post. Still doing Google searches and running in conflicting information.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT delete the RAID configuration yet. Doing so might result in data loss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MedPodRDX

MedPodRDX MDL Novice

May 7, 2018
  6. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    For what i can see from the pic:

1) you have a Raid 1 - Mirror
    2) you lost 1 of the 2 drives
    3) no data is lost
    4) Raid is off, therefore its not doing the mirroring.

a) you can save that disk image, the SO only see 1 disk.
    b) you should replace the failed disk, while complying to raid rules.
    c) then rebuild the array, it will resume mirroring operation.

The critical part is, while rebuilding the array, not to choose wrong source disk.

Source=Existing disk
    Destination=New disk

Back up existing working disk first.

7. MedPodRDX

MedPodRDX MDL Novice

May 7, 2018
    Thanks @2cmp
    Thing is, i'm suspecting those techs gave us a refurbished NX workstation which was not cleaned properly because we never lost or removed any hdd from it
    i described the config as is without any modification from our side
    Also, we have no major problem with it. i only want to create a full backup just in case...

8. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    While you never removed any disk from it, doesn't mean there isn't a 2 disk inside, if it exists and it should has raid 1 is active,he simply broke down/ended his lifecycle.

Beside doing the image backup from the remain functional disk, I strong suggest to replace the broken disk (if its the case) and rebuild the array, if no 2 disk exist I suggest even further,
    put a 2 disk and rebuild the array, its a safe procedure to avoid data lost.

We use this RAID 1 - Mirroring on minor (non RAID5 capable/available/applicable) critical systems where down time due to disk failures are critical (offline- disk fail -replace disk - rebuild array - online) and avoid data lost.

If you supply a more detailed info (Model-Series-Part number or similar id info) I can look a bit deeper.

9. MedPodRDX

MedPodRDX MDL Novice

May 7, 2018
    Thanks @2cmp

i've already opened the case and saw there is only one hdd inside (500 gb hdd with 2 partitions. one for the system and the other for the database)
    We never removed or replaced anything, that is why i'm suspecting techs provided us with a refurbished workstation which wasn't properly set up
    They probably proceeded to the removal before they installed it in our office
    But i'll check and provide details you asked for soon...

(i don't see the benefit of a RAID config since there is only one hdd inside, but i'm not sure i can touch its config to avoid any possible problems)

10. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Perhaps, you should run the OS on UEFI rather than on legacy - by making the change at the BIOS first.

11. Soundator

Soundator MDL Novice

May 23, 2018
    How is it possible to be RAID with only one HDD?

12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is possible in some systems. For example, my Acer Aspire S7 is on Raid despite having a one specially configurated SSD in it.

13. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Does this person works in a X-ray clinic if he does he should not be trying to configure anything, call IT just in case u mess up and lose patients data.

14. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  15. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Dhjons that is Raid 5 maybe :smartass: