Raid problem: two raid disks and one spare?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ngc2392, Apr 16, 2009.

1. ngc2392

ngc2392 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2008
    Hello, i have a question here...i have an intel dp35 motherboard. And 3 disks. 2 of them i want to put in mirror raid, the remaining one i want to have system installed on. I tried already with creation of raid and it went ok, but when i try to install windows xp (sp3), everything freezes (blue screen). Is problem within raid controller which cannot work with one disk extra or in windows?
    Thanks...

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
  3. 2centsworth

Feb 12, 2008
    #3 2centsworth, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    You need the RAID driver to use RAID on an Intel motherboard, even if only one drive is NON-RAID, assuming you are using the same embedded Intel ICHR controller for both the RAID and non-RAID drives.

Only one driver is installed for the SATA function, and if you have any RAID array, it has to be the RAID driver.

BTW, i modded the DP35DPM BIOS with HP SLP 1.0 if you are interested, it's posted here somewhere.

4. ngc2392

ngc2392 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2008
    well, thanks...but i get the problem before i even start the installation of windows. i think problem lies in management of disks. is there maybe a proper sata ports configuration where to plug the connectors (sata o, sata 1...) or you can connect the esata port and sata4 port for raid.
    even being simple i think matrix controller should allow one disk to be excluded from raid and allow other two to function properly.

5. 2centsworth

Feb 12, 2008
    #5 2centsworth, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
    All six ports on the DP35DPx motherboards are the same ICH.

Install XP from bootable CD using F6 to install RAID drivers (if you plan to use RAID, these drivers must be installed even for a single drive).

You can alternately install XP onto a single harddrive (port 0) without the RAID driver (XP will use the default sata driver assuming you have a CD of SP2 or later), then once all is installed, you can add the RAID matrix driver, reboot, then using either Intel storage utility or the BIOS you can build the RAID array out of other drives.

Either way, you will need the RAID driver to see a RAID array. It will also work just fine for the single non-raid drive.