Random Freezing of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nemalbeckham, Nov 8, 2010.

1. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    Hi,
    I have had this HP laptop for about 2 months now, and one problem that has consistently plagued me is random freezing. It could freeze during idle, within a few minutes of startup or after 2-3 days. There are no dumps or major error in event viewer. Ran memtest86+ and it passed with no error. Ran the hard disk test and no error as well. Updated all drivers, bios. Ran all antivirus and malware scans. Reformatted my computer a few times already by now. Got rid of the Home Premium and installed Windows 7 Professional. Any help as to what could be done to stop this error?

2. doc

doc MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2009
    Bought myself a couple of years (30 months ago) a HP laptop. Had random problems, but since it passed warranty for few months, the support for the laptop is dead. And sending it back for repair will cost me more than it is worth. Support at HP is a laughter. Driver support stoped after 6 months.

My advice: if it is in warrenty, send it back. If it isn't, buy yourself a laptop other than HP, wich is worth the money you pay.

3. Ackers

Ackers MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2010
    Does the HP Laptop use Realtek chip?(Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader)

Latest Driver is:

V6.1.7600.30122

(realtek.com.tw)

4. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    I was hoping I dont have to reformat the computer as I am a senior and pretty much up to my neck with assignments. But I would definitely give it a try once I am free. Most probably I would do it over Thanksgiving Holiday that's coming up soon. From my research on the net, another solution that have worked for some people is to tune down the ram frequency and setting the ram voltages manually instead of leaving it on auto. I am hoping to get the Bios modded to allow me to have that option since HP has locked all their power options.

5. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    I am not sure what you trying to get with that, but i dont have a Realtek card reader in my HP laptop

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Thing is there is no set reason as to why it happens. Almost every case is different. If you need any help just ask. :D

7. 91011

91011 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    Just had the exact same problem with an older Thinkpad and and did all the tests you did - plus installing WinXp - but the freezes continued. It wasn't until I switched out the RAM (that had passed 20 Memtest cycles) that the freezes stopped. Tested seven different Hynix, Samsung & Kingston modules and all ran fine but when the two matched Crucial modules were reinstalled the freezes restarted. The warranty replacements from Crucial run perfectly. I have no explanation.

Try some totally different RAM. Also, if you have two modules installed, you might try running one at a time (trying each slot) & see if one of them is causing the freezing.

8. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    Yes, I need help. HP customer service is not much of a help, but I dont blame their either since the problem has no specific solution. For the time being, I am running my 4GB-Samsung RAM only, leaving out the 2GB Hynix RAM. Hopefully, that would solve the issue

9. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    That's a good start, just keep a MFR(Memorandum For Record) nearby to log the times and date that you get the error and keep note if it's the same error or a different one(If you get a BSOD) But Log also what you were doing at the time of the freeze or lag. Just wish the problem was a bit more specific it's just too random atm.

10. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    Latest Freeze. Turned on my laptop and left it on the table after returning from class. Opened up firefox and left to grab dinner. Came back to see the computer was frozen, I could not get the time as i set my computer to turn off the display after 10 mins of inactivity. It does not go to sleep or hibernation at any point. I turned those off. No BSOD or dumps. I have switched the 4GB RAM to the second slot. See if that would make any difference

11. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    Check and make sure all your drivers are updated and check your BIOS see if there is an update for that. Last resort would be a clean install - i'll explain more if it comes to that.

12. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    Its all have been updated to the latest. There is a website that keeps track of the latest driver for my laptop
    forum.notebookreview.com/hp-drivers-software-forum/404164-drivers-hp-dv6-gen-2-dv7-gen-3-dv8-hdx16-hdx18-intel.html

13. Reign_Of_Freedom

Aug 1, 2009
    What about your BIOS?

14. subpsyke

subpsyke MDL Junior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I don't have your laptop, but I do have a theory as to your problem... if you have a Broadcom wireless device. The Broadcom driver version 5.100.249.2 causes my laptop's internet to die, many applications and services stop responding, and the computer does not shutdown or restart properly. Reverting to version 5.60.48.35 completely fixes the issue for me.

15. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    BIOS has been updated too. The latest version was released about a week ago, with an update for the ACPI or something like that

16. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    I have an Intel Wireless device. Thanks for the tip. It may help many others who face this problem.

17. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    @nemalbeckham, do you use avira and zonealarm ??? if yes, continue reading. i got also this random freezing problem in my laptop a while ago and struggling to find out why i came eventually to my last guesses, avira and zonealarm, iam not sure witch one was in fact the responsible, but i guess it was zonealarm, anyway, i uninstalled both and put nis2011 with free 90 days oem license and the freezing stopped. i got the same combination of avira and zonealarm on my desktop and it is just fine, so again, i guess it has something to do with a conflict between zonealarm and the wireless... hope this helps. good luck :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    Thanks. But I am not running either one of them. I only have Symantec Antivirus installed on my computer

19. nemalbeckham

nemalbeckham MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2010
    I seem to have solved my problem. I reinstalled the OS, used all the latest drivers and finally installed Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I have gone 2 weeks without a freeze. Thank you to everyone who dropped by to help. Hope this may solve your problem