Random Internet Disconnections from the PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Dr4w, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi!
    So, I'm experiencing random Internet disconnections that last for a few seconds before reconnecting by itself.
    • Some infos:
    -Connected via ethernet cable.
    -I'm on Win10 LTSC (1809).
    -The motherboard is an Asus M51AC (Asus H87M-PRO with a slighty locked down BIOS).
    -The LAN card is a Realtek.

• What happens exactly?
    Internet disconnects itself from the PC for a few seconds and then reconnects itself. While it happens the other connected devices are fine (both via cable and Wifi).

• When it happens?
    Completely random, I've noticed it more frequently while playing video games (especially Dead By Daylight and League of Legends), but that could mean nothing since I can notice it more easily from there when I get kicked out of a game session. Infact iirc it happened one time while I was browsing youtube.
    I can go for hours (literally 6/10hrs or more) without having issues and it randomly happens. Once a day at least tho, and usually when I play a game.

• What have you tried?
    -Different Modem.
    -Different cable and ethernet port.
    -Different ISP (I was having the same issue before changing it).
    -Tweaking the LAN options (disable battery saving, green ethernet and similar).
    -Updating/changing drivers.
    -Removing any other Wifi PCIe CARD that may conflict.
    -Checking the windows event report to check if anything wrong.-->I didn't noticed anything strange, but I'm not an expert about the application, so I may missed something, I'm not 100% sure.

• What haven't you tried yet?
    -Formatting and installing a different windows version.
    -Using a live Linux.-->Since I don't know the cause, I could stare at the desktop for days without anything happening and while having the issue anyway.
    For how long have you had the issue?
    A year or so, not sure, a long time anyway.

Before buying a new motherboard or a new LAN card, I want to make sure that is actually an hardware issue. What do you guys reccomend me to do before I format everything? Did I miss something?
    If you need more infos, just ask. Thanks.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Have you the same issue when you're connected from another location, at a friend's home for example?

3. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    it sounds like some electrical connection could be faulty.... maybe a wire hanging on just by a single copper strand.
    you already replaced the ethernet stuff, so that could not be it. rising temps could do nasty things too..does the pc get
    much warmerwhen you are gaming? i would not format everything; that is very drastic, and carries no guarantee to solve the issue. can you try some wifi dongle to connect? they are cheap enough, i would try that first..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    I can't try it. First it's hard to move a desktop PC. Secondly I can't leave the PC to a friend's house waiting for the issue to appear, since it can take days.

5. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    No, temps are fine. I can try with the wifi connection since I already have a PCIe wifi card.

6. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    See if u have the same issue connected via wifi if it does could be a issue with OS and drivers have u check your device manager and see if their any conflicts their HW or driver related, I think I saw a thread here were people were reporting a similar issue running Win10 LTSC (1809)

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    that sounds to me like connection intermittent issue could be driver related...try the wifi for a bit and see if the connection drops or install another lan card but i dont think is a HW issue.

8. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try with wifi and see if it changes anything and I'll report back. My last resort before an hardware change is formatting and installing a different windows version.

9. Sako549

Sako549 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2011
    Hi! If I were you I'll try these:
    1- Purchase a gigabit PCI or PCIe NIC (ethernet card) and install it. Cost would be under $10.
    2- Hook your ethernet cable to the new card and monitor it. If still disconnects, then either mobo, ethernet wire, router or modem.

Regardless this fixes the issue or not, having a 2nd NIC on hand would not hurt. Good luck!

10. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    I'll purchase a new NIC after I tried every software possible cause. But yea, you're right a 2nd NIC is always useful anyway.

11. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    dust
    any dust in the wired connection ?

12. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Umm, no, I clean my PC often with air compress so, it's pretty clean.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #13 Enthousiast, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    If the connection disconnects, it should show on any live distro or a windows live/winpe cd/dvd, too, shouldn't it (showing if connected or not)?

Easiest way to check if it's OS related or hardware.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Boot your pc into safe mode with networking. If it disconnects then look for a hardware issue, if not then look for a software issue

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    If the problem usually sussist when I'm playing a game, or at least it's where I notice it the most, and since It can go for hours without it happening, how I can I check the issue through a live distro? I can't run a game and hope the problem sussist into the live too.

16. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Can I play games while in safe mode? That's where I notice the issue the most.

17. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    EDIT. It seems that it disconnects also when I'm connected via WiFi with a different NIC. So it may actually be a software issue.

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    try a different version of windows mite be driver related.

19. VTEck

VTEck MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Dr4w from what you've said the problem is in the OS. Do you happen to have another Hard Drive that you can install your OS onto. This would prove one way or the other whats wrong. I've seen this happen many times and 85% of the time it's the OS. Very rare for the modem chip to randomly disconnect . I believe you said you've had this OS installed for a long time, I bet that you have picked up a few glitches along the way. Good Luck let us know what you found.

20. Dr4w

Dr4w MDL Junior Member

Feb 3, 2017
    UPDATE.
    I formatted and installed another Windows 10 version (Enterprise 1909 NON LTS). The issue persist.
    Do you guys think it's an hardware issue at this point?