Random old junk files left everywhere.. Uninstall program not sufficient. Win7.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PanzerHauptmann, Dec 7, 2009.

1. PanzerHauptmann

PanzerHauptmann MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Have been using windows 7 for quite a while now and I am just now realizing how much garbage is really left behind when erasing/uninstalling an app or game. Yesterday I attempted to re-install some game called gears of war, but since I had uninstalled it months ago or partially installed it (I cant remember) installer.exe refuses to install the game, due to some tiny string somewhere coded in the registry that says "GEARS OF WAR ON THIS COMP".

So I decided to manually clean out every entry I could find using search query GEARS... I found maybe 5 or 6, tucked away in folders like {A3439FDSKLFDJGBFRDMFDSFSCDASC5432} and {3243FDSJ#43jfdSAJKDOSFKJDS}. These little bastard files get everywhere.. they literally INFEST your registry with complete garbage.. For instance, I noticed JUST FOR HAVING AN .EXE FILE IN A PARTICULAR FOLDER THE REGISTRY LOGS THAT FOR SOME REASON!! In other words, no install was run on any .exe, the string just happens to be there because the file is there.

Next, is of course the hard drive. Now I always use uninstall software whenever performing a removal, and I know prog's will ask "Erase saved and/or user information?" which, oone would assume, the C:\Users\USER\Roaming\Local\Whatever folder. After browsing thru these folders one by one I've found junkware and crap that Ive erased MONTHS ago.

I wouldnt consider myself a computer novice, and I dont think by dragging and icon to the recycle bin erases the whole program like some soccer moms. I understand what software does upon/during an installation and what/where files are created.

I've used CCleaner, Windows 7 Tweaker, etc etc, they do their best but in lieu of my recent findings apparently cannot possibly hunt down every signature/dump file a prog creates. So, is there ANY solution to this, or maybe a better program out there that I just dont know about?? if so, do tell.

panzer

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, actually it does. With the condition that you let it record the installation first. It then records every change made to the registry and folders, so that when uninstalling, every change gets reverted back.

In THEORY, when one would do that for everything that gets installed, one would have a fairly clean system. But, hey, be honest, who would actually keep that up for months and months, especially when you like to try out new and unknown apps all the time.
    Take also in consideration that surfing generates it's own junk, and even the system creates logs for numerous things. Every new filetype u use, gets logged in registry, as is with most changes in the system.

So having no junk at all is indeed nearly impossible. Like I just said, nearly every change in the system gets logged in the registry. But a peace of software like Total Uninstall will make a big difference.

gen555

3. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Really, you're giving the issue much more thought than it requires. Leftovers wouldn't really hinder your computer's performance significantly. CCleaner is sufficient.

P.S: of all moms, why are you specifically stereotyping soccer moms, lol :confused:

4. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah I realize surfing the net, performing daily tasks do leave some sort of signature sOMEWHERE on the hard drive, I 100% realize that and I know it would be unreasonable to expect any program to clean up any and all traces of even using the keyboard lol...

I am instead speaking PARTICULARLY of installed programs, not random click-here apps stumbled upon while surfing the net, legitimate Windows-certified or GFWL (games for windows live) software that when installing creates entry upon entry of barely or if at all-noticeable registry entries and scattered-about folder creation all over the hard drive..

thanks for the suggestion I will try using the prog. But im not sure if I want yet another backgrounder app to monitor any and all files that are installed.. my first thought is that it may create somewhat of a lag of processing of files.

5. PanzerHauptmann

Oct 19, 2009
    I wasnt speaking of hindrance of performance specifically, although I imagine over time with installation after installation of apps games etc.. it may have some effect.

I am reallly speaking of installation errors on particular programs because there is some left over registry entry which makes it "think" that it's currently installed on my comp.

Just read my original post again and perhaps you'll better understand what I was getting at. Perhaps I was just ranting for the most part, in which case please excuse. :rolleyes: