RDP licensing

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by TheSkaffer, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Member

May 16, 2010
    Yeah, covered I read a bit about CAL and some pastebin links.

However, just a short question: SRV 2012, suddenly I faced some issues, I have done some repair, including refresh image and all that, and after fighting a little bit with Windows Firewall, Shared Folders and RDP, the only thing remaining to get back in to working order is RDP from other Windows machines (non servers) and I get the below error.

It seems it may be related to being unable to get them shares working again properly. (Got backup on other machines, thanks for your concern...)

Should I really activate the RDS CAL role for 1-2 sporadic RDP's to server?

Errror:
    A licensing error occured while the client was attempting to connect (Licensing timed out).
    Please try connecting to the remote computer again

I uninstalled KMS and reinstalled it, but it said my server was already permanently activated... werd to me: This: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/kms-tools.51/

2. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Member

May 16, 2010
    Savvy?

3. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Member

May 16, 2010
    Ended up wiping and installing R2.
    Even the Server Manager started acting up, caught in some kind of monitoring loop, not being able to let me get to the roles setup.

Ah well, it has been running faithfully since 2013 and with few hiccups, so I guess it was time to throw it out. R2 is now up and running on new SSD drives and a reconfigured, larger, faster RAID as FS.

4. Md Tarike Hossen

Md Tarike Hossen MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2017
    Even the Server Manager started acting up, caught in some kind of monitoring loop, not being able to let me get to the roles setup.