Re-Install Windows 7 with Locked boot order

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mazzif, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    #1 Mazzif, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ok, so I had to test that theory. Stemming from my HP BIOS password reset project, I had a guy who's laptop wasn't supported, had a locked boot order (HDD Only) and was BIOS password protected (That he didnt have). His Win7 install was trashed, and wanted to re-install. But how? I suggested a method, and have tested it (twice, once and then following what I wrote here so I could take images), and documented the easy process, and it works, so I thought I'd share.

Here is what you'll need.

New/Used SATA HDD for installation
    USB to 2.5" SATA Adapter
    Windows Install Media (DVD)

IMG_0407.JPG

Plug in SATA drive using USB adapter, you should see new hardware notification.

Partition the drive making one partition about 8GB, and then format the second partition.

Open a CMD prompt with administrative privileges.

Type Diskpart in the CMD to launch the partition utility
    Code:
    diskpart

Then type
    Code:
    list disk

Then select your new disk using select disk (mine is disk 2)
    Code:
    select disk 2

Now list the partitions
    Code:
    list partition

Select our install partition
    Code:
    select partition 1

make it active
    Code:
    active

Probably don't need this step, but this is how I did it, so I'm still including it
    Format the partition
    Code:
    format fs=NTFS quick

Assign it a drive letter
    Code:
    assign

Here is my Output

Find program BOOTSECT.EXE , usually in installation media
    Code:
    E:\USB\Boot>bootsect.exe /nt60 J:
    (J is the Drive letter for Install Partition we just made)

Here is my Output
    Now copy over your install DVD contents to the install partition

Remove new SATA Drive, and install into laptop, Power on, and it should boot automatically to the installer partition, and let you re-install windows. Select our second Partition, and then just follow the prompts.
    IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0418.JPG IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0427.JPG

Hope this helps someone

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Oooo that's sneaky, I really like it.

I would have suggested clone the drive from another source
    but that gives problems sorting the drivers, unless the machines are identical
    This is simple and clean.:tankyou:

...T

3. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Thank T! Yea, there are other possible options, but in this 'scenario', this was about the only option. Password Protected BIOS with no access. Locked Boot Order to Primary HDD. No second like model laptop. If you only have one like model, making an image would be difficult if not impossible. Another option I was looking at though, but haven't tried is if you don't have that second SATA HDD. Re-size (shrink) existing partition to free up enough space to create your 'Install Partition'. Copy the install files to that new partition, mark it as active etc and then reboot.

I have no ideas what problems this could create, I'm sure the potential to trash the existing install is there. I have only resized a Win7 partition one time from within Windows7 and it worked well enough. But then again, if you need to re-install anyways ;) why not take the risk (assuming your data is backed up). The theory is sound to me. Maybe I'll test this later. Would be quite useful information for people with locked boot order and password protected laptops, that cant re-install.

4. duffman452001

duffman452001 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2014
    #4 duffman452001, Feb 7, 2014
    Not to be a buzzkill but there is a much easier option (if you can get the machine to boot and also have admin rights). Download Bootice and use it to install Plop Boot Manager. Its a replacement MBR with booting options (such as PXE, USB, and CD/DVD)

5. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Not even close to a buzzkill. Cant buzkill sharing information.:p The OP is still a solid solution. Plop is great, but does have limitations. I would need to test it with these newer laptops before I called it a solution. With the unit I was working on, it has a SATA based CD/DVD and from Plop documentation:
    So that option is out. Maybe USB Boot would then work, but reading forums, seems maybe a bit of issue with USB booting from Plop. Don't know haven't tested it. Thanks for the info, I'll dig into it.

6. joggele

joggele MDL Novice

May 31, 2015
    #6 joggele, May 31, 2015
    when i type that in (with my path and the letter windies gave the patition) it just show me the list of cmd commands o_O

can u help me pls?

7. Mazzif

Mazzif Elitebook Pwner

Oct 18, 2013
    Only thing i can think right off the top of my head is:
    Open a CMD prompt with administrative privileges.

8. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #8 SL2, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    There's another way.

1 - Put the HDD in another computer.
    2 - Start the installation from a USB drive or DVD.
    3 - When the computer reboots for the first time, shut it down.
    4 - Put the HDD back in the first computer, boot and let it finish the installation.

AFAIK, the installation doesn't do any machine specific configurations before the first reboot.
    Useful if you have no adapter. Works for me. :D Wouldn't try swapping between UEFI and non-UEFI machines tho.

9. mogseyoboyle

mogseyoboyle MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2014
    BRILLIANT SOLUTION!! Worked perfectly for me.

After windows has installed on the new laptop, can we make partition 2 the active partition so we don't have to go through the select partition boot screen every time we turn the laptop on?

10. Johnny Classic

Johnny Classic MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2019
    Couldn't you use UBCD Live Beta CD, and use CMOS Cleaner to wipe BIOS settings?

11. -Jim-

-Jim- MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I'm working on a HP Elitebook folio 9470m with Win 7 Enterprise on it (which I have the Windows password from the owner) with a locked Bios (and she doesn't have the password). My friend wants Win10 on a new SSD installed. This may work. I'll give it a try when I get some time on the weekend. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I'd definitley give it a try. However, don't install with GPT as it's probably set to MBR.