re-installation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crabhunter, Jan 21, 2010.

1. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I don't suppose it's possible to re-install 7 "over the top" like you used to be able to do in 98 and xp?
    I never needed to try in Vista but now I need to in 7 due to an endless repair loop at startup.
    Mike

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Yes - apparently so but I think it will copy your existing setup to a Windows.old folder. Should be possible to transfer your settings but you have to install your apps again. If your settings are stuffed why would you want them ??

If you can't start Windows I don't think you can upgrade and who wants to upgrade anyway - almost everyone recommends you don't upgrade anyM$ OS.

Backup your data and clean install - it is what I'd do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I agreed, fresh install is the better way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, I suppose the answer to my question is no then.
    The reason I wanted to do a quick over install is because my problem is a boot up problem and I don't want to have to reinstall everything again if I can help it.My problem was caused by having to hold down the power button repeatedly during boot as I have a hardware issue that stops my monitor coming on with my pc. I must have switched it off at a crucial point and after trying all the repair options I still can't boot :(
    Mike

5. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Don't you think it proper to solve first the hardware issue before you tinker with windows 7 installation?

6. crabhunter

Dec 30, 2009
    Yes I will, I'm just thinking foreward to when I do.
    Mike