Re-installing Vista on Tosh A300D-16C

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rob.Marsh, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all, first post here.

I have stumbled accross some threads here about clean installing oem software and thought I'd sign up to see if you helpful peeps can give me a hand.

My laptop (Toshiba A300D-16c) got clogged up and started playing up big time so I went for a factory restart after a backup of my files. Using the recovery partition I kicked off the process, and lo and behold it failed on 97% completion and would no longer boot and was asking for a vista disk as a file was missing. (can't remember the file name). Stupidly Ilost the revovery discs I created, and forgt to create a new set before I began the reset. (I don't need tellig how dumb that was, I am beating myself up enough already for that!!)

I gave it to a friend who checked the hard drive and that seems to be ok, but he could only get a trial 30 day copy of vista home premium back on there for me. He says that the origional files from thebackup partition are there but he can't find the toshiba software to decrypt them. Toshiba do recovery media that may well do the trick but im loather to pay the £30 fee. Expecially as I'm after a clean install without the toshiba extra dross that came pre installed.

I have been reading threads here about using the Toshiba OEM PK, and getting an xrm-ms file that matches the SLIC table in the bios to activate vista. Its creating the xrm-ms file that I don't quite understand how to do. Better still is there one I can download?

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved,

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks Urie,

The Trial version of vista is already loaded, so I presume that rules out DAZ loader.

Slic dumptoolkit will be the next step tonight so i know which cert I need. I had found the Vista OEMSLP Certificate & Bin Collection thread, maybe I am having a funny 5 minutes but I can't see how to download the oem slp key. do I use the attached .info file? I'm probably being really stupid and missing something simple. I get the feeling I am nearly there, just not quite understanding something.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can't download the SLP keys just copy and paste them into notepad, What do you mean by trial version is it RC version not RTM ? that will do for the moment just to get info about your certificate.

5. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    The Copy and paste think now makes a lot more sense I think. What is the .info file attached the that thread?

Sorry, you'll have to bear with me as this is my first time dabbling into the world of Operating Systems etc. RC? RTM? I must admit, I haven't booted up the laptop since the trail version was installed. A friend of mine took it to his son to look at, and I only got it back yesterday. All I have been told is that it is a trail version and will expire in 30 days without a key. I have access to other PC's should I need to download things so thats no problem. Trying to find someone with a vista disk is difficult though.

Apologies for being a pain!

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  7. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    Attached Files

* File Type: 7z SLIC 2.0 BINS 6-16-2010.7z (111.7 KB, 2207 views)

Bottom of the OP in Vista-OEMSLP-Certificate-amp-Bin-Collection Thread you linked to. It appears I got confused. its a .7z file

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Ahh, ok got you I thought you were talking about the OEM SLP keys.

9. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks for your edit Urie, and also for your patience with a noob!

I'll take a look at downloading the 32 bit version. I think I am heading in the right direction. I can't check the type of vista on the machine at present. I'll check tonight.
    So, to clarify, once i know which oem slp cert I need, i simply copy line of text from the thread, and copy into a notepad file with the correct file name and extension?

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. Rob.Marsh

Rob.Marsh MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks Urie,

I'll have a play tonight and let you know how it goes.

12. Annasui

Annasui MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2010
    My computer often breaks down these days, so I’m planning to reset my system, but I’m worrying about losing all the important files, Do you guys have any ideas?

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Back them up......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. kelmart11

kelmart11 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    can you arrange some pdf software for me dude??

15. kelmart11

kelmart11 MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2010
    hey give me too dude i m free at night