Reactivating a HP Install of XP Pro SP3 Repaired with a Dell OEM XP Pro SP3 Disc

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Kamika007z, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Kamika007z

Kamika007z MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2010
    Hi All!

I have been working on this issue for hours on end, to a point where my head is about to explode. I'm trying to figure out if this is at all possible:

Yesterday, a client of mine suffered from a nasty spyware infection, which after completely removing the all traces of the infection, the NIC wouldn't kick back in and grab an IP, causing it to connect at "limited or no connectivity". Needless to say, I only had a Dell OEM Windows XP SP3 disc on me and this system (so I think) had an HP OEM Windows XP SP3 installed on it, so I used the Dell CD to repair the installation.

Now I have everything working perfectly, except for the activation issue side of things... Is there any possible way of getting this damn thing activated? I have tried countless keys, but I think I am missing something here that I am not able to fully grasp. To make matters worse, the tower has a Vista Basic key on it (I assume that it was a downgraded order when purchased). Is there a file that needs to be replaced as well perhaps? I just cannot format this thing since the client absolutely needs the machine without any more downtime.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
    Kamika007z

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Read the stickies....

You need to use the oembios changer and the HP oembios files. Use the OEMBIOS.EXE to verify which you need..I can upload if you need.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kamika007z

Kamika007z MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2010
    #3 Kamika007z, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    (OP)
    Hi 911medic,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have been reading and searching all over the place. Which sticky should I refer to exactly? Yes please do send over any files I may need! I am unable to find a reliable place to download from... the links are mostly down.

Also, is this something I can do within XP? Currently, I have a logmein session going on with the machine remotely.

Thank you!

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You have to do within XP..I will upload tomorrow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kamika007z

Kamika007z MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2010
    #5 Kamika007z, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    (OP)
    Looking forward to it!

Thank you so much medic!!

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009