[DISCUSSION] ReactOS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by pisthai, Feb 18, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    ReactOS looks very promising, no doubts at all. I just hope it will end to an era of Microsoft monopoly once and for all.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er......?! Did you realize that ReactOS is based on Windows Server 2003?! If not, you maybe read the website in details!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    And just to mention: I didn't told, or even mean that ReactOS isn't a good way to go! I've also no doubt, that's maybe even a really need! That the base of that OS is also Microsoft related, didn't mean, that everything, what's coming from Microsoft is bad, it simply isn't, in fact, Microsoft has done a lot of very good developments till today!

Software is nothing else or more than humans are: IMPERFECT! That's something we should never forget! From a logical point of view: How something could be perfect, if those who create it are not perfect?

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Now is only 502 Bad Gateway

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The link to the Website in Post #1, just works well! Just checked!!

8. btk

btk MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Based in ?

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    9 million + of coded OS, based on itself and pieces of Linux and MS OS's, totally different than most. Looks like Win2k, has both linux and win trates.

I tried this a long time ago, today is far far better than it was back when I don't believe it had a real "version" at the time lol. It has come a LONG way since then, but still a bit borky. Will be interesting once they get a stable version in a production level state.

Also hope they find someone who can make the tools they use to make x64 since they are using tools that can only code x86 atm ^_^

10. GoFigure

GoFigure MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    The wiki is working. I had tried this a long time ago but it wasn't very stable. It doesn't appear that they have made much progress over the years. Almost reminds me of the OS2 Warp project between IBM and Microsoft that was designed to come up with a new OS back in the early 90s. Except some people did buy it and there were a couple apps written specifically for it. Might be worth taking another look at this project though I don't believe it will ever be a replacement for anything, more like a toy to play with and possibly impress a few computer illiterate people.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  12. hapbt

hapbt MDL Novice

Aug 29, 2007
    at this point you can probably run more windows software under Wine than ReactOS
    speaking as someone who has been following its glacially slow development since its inception

13. un user

un user MDL Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Well, is good to know that there is an alternative, and, is Open-Source.
    Maybe, in time, they will also gain necessary traction to speed-up development.