Ready 4GB RAM for Windows 7/Vista 32bit (support max 128GB)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by itlvk, Nov 30, 2009.

1. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 1234s282

1234s282 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2009
    How on earth does this work? lol :p

I thought 4gb was a limitation of 32bit software?

3. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I tested, great work, I think this soft unlock or patch Server Memory Management or 64 bit Memory Management

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, I doubt it will actually do anything more then making windows "see" the full 4gb of ram.

Probably a derivative of the /pae switch, which can (in some cases) create unstability in the kernel and corruption of data.

The physical limitation of memory addressing in x86 can't be changed imo.

My thoughts

One should try this out with caution...

5. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
  6. moosh101

moosh101 MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2009
  7. ynhdarkman

ynhdarkman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    #7 ynhdarkman, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
    why all the hate/fear towards 64-bit?
    i mean, if you meet ALL the requirements for 64-bit, why won't you use it?

software? ALL the programs I've tried work flawlessly, both x86 and x64
    drivers? c'mon, Windows 7 comes with tons of preloaded drivers, if something's missing, Windows Update will find it... besides, almost all hardware supports 64-bit now, unless you're using a 10 y/o PC

get over 32-bit already! try 64-bit!

PS. oh and one more thing... yeah Windows can "see" all the RAM installed it, as all we can see on the screenies, but... can Windows use it? get some 3rd party software and test RAM usage, and then post screens about it... see if the 132234253252535GB of RAM you guys have on x86 are in fact usable.

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yep. why go through all that trouble and risk messing your system up ?

As said enough times allready : the 4gb limitation is a physical limitation of the x86 architecture. Can't change that. peroid. end of line. next paragraph.

This hack, like a ton of them, are made around the same principle of the /pae switch, originally ment for server environments, and to be adjusted and monitored on how to incorporate into the system by programmers, but in home environments, it can lead to some serious issues in kernel stability and data.

Why risk it, when x64 runs even better than x86 ?
    I think I mentioned before about many ppl who are used to something, they tend to stick with it at all cost, even if the better choice is staring them in the face. Well, this hack would be a perfect example of that, i guess.

As stated, pick up a third party software to run some mem usage tests, and then post those results. It'll show usage of no more then 3.2, maybe 3.5 gigs, depending on howmuch is allready addressed to video ram and other devices.

What is shown in those screens above is no more then windows saying : "yeah, I've got 6gigs ram here ! But I can't actually use it, cause it's out of my reach..."

gen

9. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    The "Problem", as I've stated previously, is that x64, while working well, is NOT yet ready for what it was made for. There are only a couple of x64 applications that actually work in 64bit mode. Almost everything works fine in 32bit mode though, so, it doesn't hurt.

So far, these are the ONLY applications that work in 64bit mode:
    • Photoshop - However, the 64bit PS can't handle Filters, which is what most ppl need help with. So everyone just sticks with the 32bit mode!
    • FireFox - Separate application (forget the name). Further along, but again, doesn't support plug-ins, add-ons or extensions. There are LOTS of websites which won't display with Flash! (P.S. Java 64 does work!)
    • WinRar - Works, but again, how long do you use this for?
    • MS Office 2010 - Not out yet, besides, how much power do you need to write a business memo?

So, once again, you Can run most Everything in x64. You just can't run it in 64bit mode, so, what's really the point?

Now, I should straighten out one point. I'm not saying Don't Use x64. If you've got the memory, use it! But for all those of us with 4gb, you aren't going to see ANY difference!

10. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Haha insert Tim the Toolman Taylor quote "Moarrrr pooooweeerrr!" here! :)

Or who knows, someone might try and type more than 3.5 gigs worth of text. I think they'd need a few new keyboards and lifetimes to complete that task, but we all know that even the most extreme circumstances will be exceeded by someone for a (in)valid purpose out of boredom at one point anyway.

I can say this, I have seen businesses with humongous excel spreadsheets and huge access databases with parts inventory and other things that stretch the ability of office as it is now. People like them would need 64 bit office apps. I'd personally opt for SQL on an open source platform to track that stuff, but to each their own.

11. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    I beg to differ... I am running 7 ultimate 64 on 3gbs of ram, and there is a big big difference overall with x64 V x86... I even noticed a huge difference when I tried xp pro 64 a year or so ago over x86. Even games that are built 32bit run smoother in a 64bit environment.

I do have to say though, if my current notebook could handle more than 4gigs, I would have 8gigs in this sucker and be very very happy with it....

12. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    could not help but jump in on this....but-the ONLY reason I`m even running x86 is all thanks to M-audio for just flat out refusing to make a 64 bit driver for the Radium49....money is too tight right now for me to just go and buy another midi controller that has x64 support....

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Can't you just run it in x86 mode on a x64 win7 ?
    Just a thought :eek:

14. racky29

racky29 MDL Senior Member

Aug 2, 2007
    remember 64bit aint only to do with the amount of ram
    most people have a 64bit processor, so why not make the most of it and use 64bit operating system

i say lets push 32bit aside and move forward

15. itlvk

itlvk MDL Member

Jun 17, 2009
    You're right. But CPU & OS are support 64bit but application working at 32bit only :(.

16. Servi

Servi MDL Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #19 Servi, Dec 1, 2009
    PAE is a dangerous thing and has many side effects!

@genuine555:

sandboxie?? There is no 64 bit version at all, there will never be a 64 bit version, and it doesn't work with 64 bit! How did it come into your list?

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    #20 genuine555, Dec 1, 2009
    You are right servi. That's not a native x64 app.
    Made that list kinda fast. Too fast apparently :D
    Slipped through the mazes of my poreous mind :rolleyes:

But it's just to show the vastness of native x64 apps out there, if you look for them...

And yes, pae is not recommended on a home computer. Posted that previous. It was never meant to be implemented anywhere else then vast server environments. Specialized people would would be monitoring its effects and reconfigure when and where needed in order to insure stability. There are many articles regarding that subject...