REALLY disable notofications

Discussion in 'Android' started by ThomasMann, Jun 2, 2019.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    ON an ASUS zenphone, where most notifications are disabled, two items keep recurring.
    "Update Google Play" and the truly exciting "External storage insertet"

Is there a way to disable these two?

Thanks

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Sounds like they come from the Android system itself.
    Do you mean notifications appearing at the pull down notification area?
    When you long press and hold on the notifications can you get settings?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you. No, not on these two.
    I assume what triggers them, especially the google one is that I do not use anything google additionally, I do not even have a google account.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes the pull down area, and NO, nothing happens with long press. In the regular settings there is a list to deny notifications, And Google Play Store is disabled, but it still keeps appearing. At least it is not a real problem, just a nuisance...

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    There also should be extended and there a menu at top right corner (indicated by a column of 3 points)---> show system apps. Depends on Android version.
    Maybe check there the notification settings of android-system / Google Play Store etc...
    Some of those can be disabled on the lock screen only. Not on the pull down notification area of the unlocked screen, though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Yes, that is why I am asking "REALLY disabling notifications" .
    Google Play Store is disabled in the settings....

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Also, is there really no way to stop a notification telling me that there is an SDcard inserted. Which is not really a surprise, as I am the one that put it there, but, why am I being told that same information via a notification every day again and again?

8. supervergil

supervergil MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2012
    well, if you bothered by the notification, it is because the launcher? maybe the one you are using do not have the feature to suppress the notification? maybe some apps would help?
    I am using Samsung Game Launcher only to suppress notification when I'm playing games.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I do not play games, thank you, and a game launcher does strike me as something that might end up sending even more notifications.
    I rooted the phone, but cannot anything else to delete that might cause this.

Well it teaches me that I was totally right not to have a smartphone...

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    When shutting down windows there is : Shutting down message....
    Wouldn't it be the same conclusion to deny win OS then? :D

Just saying there are other things which are really an annoyance and no-go.

For instance 'THEY' would know that you are right doing it when the messages appear.
    The communications to them are the real annoyances.

11. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "When shutting down windows..." You mean Windows? Or windows? I do not remember ever seeing: "there is : Shutting down message...."

Whichever, the windows or Windows will disappear. Windows, Ff and ccleaner f.e. have a box to click, if you do not want that message to reappear, and that will "REALLY disable notofications"...

But you are right, when it comes to Android notifications "The communications to them are the real annoyances", and I was hoping someone knows the way how to do that.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  13. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    No, I think that is a completely different subject.
    Android, while running normally, has in the top left corner all the notifications that will be shown when expanded. As there is hardly any message that actually might interest me, it is nuisance having to swipe them away. or worse, like the google one, not even be able to swipe it away....

Just imagine your Win computer sending you regularly pop up windows informing you:

"Your mouse is connected". "You are now using your 500GB SSD"

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
  15. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, I indeed use 5.1.1 Its a relatively cheap phone, but I still expected it to work at least that much. I rootet it, but there seems to be nowhere to stop the SDcard notification on the 5.1.1. At least I cannot find anything.
    You mention "SystemUI"... When I connect the phone to this computer , then TWO items pop up. One is the expected ASUS X013DB and I can transfer music or .apks to the phone, as is normal. But the other Window comes up first.and it opens it own CD Drive (F: ) ASUS ZenUI PC Suite Web INstaller. It contains a set-up file and an an autorun file. I never ran the set up
    I would prefer to get rid off it but there is no information to be had what it does, and although I am sure it is crap I do not know if it is any thing essential.. and it denies any attempt to uninstall...

1.png 2.png 3.png

16. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    You disable notifications on SystemUI using the method I posted above going through settings > apps/applications > 3 dots etc on the phone itself

The ZenUI suite is not needed, just more crapware, you would likely need root to remove that yes, get an app called "Root Explorer" and navigate to the root dir of the phone and find the autorun and zen installer and delete, or maybe a linux machine could do it from the PC side too

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #17 ThomasMann, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    (OP)

Thank you, but if were that simple...
    The phone is rooted and I have always used Root Explorer, yet, as you can see on the photos I uploaded, that zenUI is on a separate "drive" and Root Explorer does NOT see that drive at all. when searching for "autorun" and "zeninstaller" it finds nothing.
    If you look at the uploaded Picture #1, you can see a separate drive F which Root Explorer does not see, and which refuses every attempt at deleting so far...

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    To get back to the notification thing.
    Can you navigate at your version to: Settings > Apps > 3 dots top right menu > show system apps > android system
    At android 4.x you cannot, at 7 you can. Not sure about 5
    MrMagic also assumes it's the android system or the sytemUI. At Android7 it's android-system

19. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Works different on 5.1.1 but I can get to system apps in Root Explorer... what am I supposed to look for there.
    What is this Zen UI anyway? What will happen if I delete it? If I ever figure out ho....

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The Zen UI itself is highly probably the UserInterface of your Zen Phone.
    OEMs mostly come with their own User Interface design such as Samsung Experience. They don't use the stock Android interface.

Deleting it would be no good idea; IMHO. It belongs to the basic system for your interactions with the phone.

I assume MrMagic talked about the Zen UI suite.
    Maybe he can come back and confirm.