Really slow Windows 7

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by The Progen, Mar 2, 2010.

1. The Progen

The Progen MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    I have this funny situation. Got a new Zotac G41 Value motherboard. Put in 1GB of 667MHz RAM and a Dual Core E2180 processor, 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB with 1MB cache. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Ran fine.

Then I upgraded to a E7500 processor, 2.93 GHz, 1066MHz FSB with 3MB cache. Still with 1GB of 667MHz RAM. No changes to the operating system in any way.

What happened was that performance dropped drastically. Programs took ages to open although Windows startup was fine. It took quite long to shut down though and it was like running Windows 7 on a system that's like 5 to 6 years old. Worked but really slowly! Switching between programs was a nightmare too.

So I got myself a 1 x 2GB piece of 800MHz RAM, took out the 667MHz one and lo behold! Everything was ok. I'm not much of a person for calculations but I've assembled quite a lot of systems over the past 10 years. This is the first time I've come across a situation where a piece of RAM can make such a HUGE difference.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Probably because fsb of the new processor is higher, it needs higher clocked ram to achieve better results. Dunno really...
    I do know that faulty or inadequate ram can cause the craziest things.
    I just installed a core i5 on an asus p7p55d deluxe.
    The ram I have is incompatible somehow, and causes the system to immediately crash when any power-saving feature is turned on.
    It just doesn't make sense, but sure enough it's a fact.

You can consider ram to be one of the most delicate parts in your entire system.
    It can make OR break a rig in no time.
    Always make sure you put some time in picking out the right brand and type of ram to go with your cpu and mobo.
    Check the QVL for guaranteed compatible ram.
    Make sure speeds and timings are in sync with the rest of the parts.

Ever tried to run a pc with faulty ram ? You know what I mean ;)

3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 burfadel, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    genuine555, in response to your RAM issues with the Core i5, the RAM you choose to use with a Core i3/i5/i7 needs to be chosen carefully. The main problems with people choosing DDR3 RAM is the voltage they run at. RAM modules designed for socket 775 and socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 motherboards may not be compatible, especially higher performing modules such as the ddr3-1333 (which should be your minimum anyway) and above that require a higher voltage to operate.

I should also point out that higher than socket 1156 spec voltage (1.65v or something?) may work, but if running them at a higher voltage damage may occur to the memory controller built in to the cpu. In other words, running a higher of a voltage with the core i3/i5/i7 to meet the RAM specs may mean goodbye cpu :doofywave:

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I know that. That's why I chose this mem. Look at the code : ocz3g1600LV4gk --> the lv stands for low voltage. It runs @1.65 This mem is especially for the i5/i7, due to the built in mem controller. Voltage has never been above 1.65 (I leave it at 1.64).
    So this ram should work fine.

I think it just don't play nice with the mobo. Both modules give out errors in memtest within seconds of the test, which is really puzzling, cause that would mean that both modules are faulty. I mean what are the odds.
    So then I figured maybe a faulty ram slot ?
    Tested that, and both slots A1 and B1 give out the same errors with each module. So I don't think it's a faulty slot either.

I just can't wrap my mind around this one. Only thing left to do is try different ram, which I'm gonna ASAIC.
    That will give me a more definitive answer on what's causing this crazy stuff (mobo, ram or cpu).

5. biffe

biffe MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2013
    what ram devider did/does it run with now and before? most motherboards set the ramtimings from the spd's on the ram. I seen this problem before when a faster cpu is installed, then the motherboard clocks the ram to a higher spd, wich the ram should be able to run at. try to define the ratio your self, and force the ram devider.

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The thread was more or less closed in March 2010 with the relevant posts dated 3-Mar-2010. The original poster must have solved the problem by now at least.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...