Realtek HD Audio Update

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Michelle68, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have been aware of this for some time and have the somewhat older version from MSI site. Does a install of this help in some way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    OEMs normally are a few versions behind.

If your product(laptop or motherboard) is not current it may no longer list new updates.

New drivers are usually bug fixes and add new hardware support.

I found it best to first completely uninstall old sound drivers using unistaller program or driver sweeper.

Download newest driver from the Realtek site,version 2.56 is new today.

Download the zip file,not the exe.

Unpack the zip file to the desktop.

Open device manager>Sound>HD Audio>driver>Update Driver>Browse>Let Me Pick>Have Disk>Browse

Now go folder where zip file was unpacked.Open it>Vista 64>HDX>open>OK

Highlight Realtek>Next

Continue if you get warning

Reboot when complete.

Now go back to unpacked folder>Vista 64 and 2X click on Re Speaker Icon App RAVCp64 to install the audio manager.

Open the Audio Manager and setup your speakers.

These instructions are for 64bit Vista and Windows 7.

4. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    Its only 5 days old

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Thanks. My question is regarding the usefulness or otherwise of this update. I have this downloaded but not installed.
    I have installed RST, NVIDIA, 3/4/5, etc, but nothing installed from Realtek (PCI, audio, etc).
    Michelle: I have been following your useful posts on RST. You may also be aware that some weeks back, I had noted a problem of missing hard disks. To solve that and to generally update the system, I have done the following over the year-end.
    1. Changed on-chip from IDE to AHCI.
    2. Reinstalled windows 7 after that (though registry mod could have done the same thing).
    3. Installed RST, 3/4/5, JMicron (I found that JMicron enables hot plugging of eSATA just like a USB device).
    4. Got the HDD replaced with a new one.

Reg. the RST, is the new update 10.1... really helpful. I read that it supports >2.2TB as boot, but that is not my immediate requirement at all. Plus, after installing RST 10.1, I found some slowness in data transfers/read, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Oery

Oery MDL Junior Member

Nov 14, 2010
    thanks, nice info

7. netizen

netizen MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Thanks for much needed.

8. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    When I update my Realek HD Audio drivers I download the zip file version from the Realtek site,unpack and update the driver manually in device manager>Sound> Realtek HD Audio

If this is a first Realek driver installation after a clean OS install then you may only see Azalia in device manager>Sound and will need to update this basic Intel sound driver with the Realtek driver.

9. fishoil

fishoil MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    Very Good Info, Thanks

10. bala_digital

bala_digital MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I have been updating these useless realtek drivers for years and they dont even have any new sort of control panel or features, all they have in their read me file is customizations!! whats the use in updating these every month???

11. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    you know you can make the realtek less crappy by getting hold of the creative x-fi software package for laptops, and modded inf and your'll get the features of the x-fi, trust me, it makes a nice difference in quality. Obviously, the software is considered warez because your supposed to buy / activate it but look around ;)

12. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    If you ever tried SRS Audio Lab Gold v 1.0.46 you wouldn't make such an uneducated statement.

You can try it free for 30 days or download it with the crack if you're too cheap to buy it.

13. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    SRS only gains sound benefit on tiny laptop speakers. I have stopped using SRS as I bought external speakers, the sound is overboosted and clipped.

14. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009
    Yes,this is true.The supported sound cards are those often found on laptops.

I use high quality earbuds and headphones on my laptops and desktops.

One of the main reasons I don't connect external speakers is because I'm almost always in an place where there are other computer users or people not wishing to be disturbed.

SRS works well for me.

About 95% of my computer use is on notebooks with Realtek HD Audio.

In my desktop I have an Xonar STX sound card for headphones.

Naturally,your mileage may vary.

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    FYI, I tried it ages ago, didn't improve things much, gave me pops in itunes. I've found the x-fi mb software much more useful, sound quality is close to my desktops now, plus I bought some creative usb speakers the other day.

my laptop isn't some cack brand name oem rubbish from pc world either, the internal speakers are really very good and aren't tinny at all.

16. Michelle68

Jul 16, 2009