Realtek RTL8188CU - Unable to load drivers on Windows Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by iMPL0DE, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iMPL0DE

iMPL0DE MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2012
    Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I'm having trouble getting windows 8 to detect my RTL8188CU after installing the Windows 7 x64 drivers from realtek on Windows consumer preview. I had the exact same issue in developer preview and I was unable to solve it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure wether doing a fresh install would solve issues rather than an upgrade to keep personal files.

2. propered

propered MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2010
    Windows (I dont know other styles of OS for this method)

To get the latest drivers to work on the RTL8188CU (NOT RTL8188CUS I believe it is slim different version)

(I am assuming you already have windows default drivers or latest realtek default)
    even if not I am sure you can just navigate to device manager and update driver AFTER following below instructions

1a)Downloaded Latest drivers for RTL8192cu RTL819xCU_AutoInstallPackage.zip
    realtek.
    com.tw/downloads/
    Download Search "RTL8192CU" (without " ")
    1b) file downloaded as RTL819xCU_AutoInstallPackage.zip

2)Extract zip

3)Navigate to "RTWLANU_Driver" folder in extracted folder

4)Enter your chosen OS folder eg.Win7X86 (contains files within netrtwlanu.cat, netrtwlanu.inf, rtwlanu.sys etc)

5)Make copies of those files keeping the copies in that same OS folder

6)Folder now contains 6 files (7 for two XP folders because i did not make copies of extra RTLBt.inf file)

7)Rename those copies respectivily to net8192cu.cat, net8192cu.inf, rtl8192cu.sys

8)Goto Device Manager - 'Network adapters' and 'right click' then 'update driver software' and 'browse my computer...' etc

9)Navigate to chosen OS folder (eg....\RTWLANU_Driver\Win7X86) where your original and copied files are contained and ok

10) Updates & Profit

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    No need to post in a 2 years old thread.

:tea: