reclaiming unused space on hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holden von Vloppen, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    I'm fixing up a laptop that was in bad shape. I'll spare you the gory details of the crap I've already fixed. Here's the wall I'm hitting up against. The person before had partitioned the hard drive into to logical drives, a 150 gig one and a 129 gig one. I was using EASeus Partition Manager to merge the two partitions back together when the computer overheated and restarted against my will. Now the 129 gig partition is no longer there. Instead, it's unused space on the drive. The feature to reclaim it as a partition is greyed out in EASeus. I also looked in Windows 7's native utility and can't find a way to get that 129 gig back. I also booted to a Win 7 install disk to see if it's possible to format that 129 gig and thus make it a partition, but had no luck.

The goal is to get that 129 gig back as part of the C drive. If it has to be a separate logical drive first, that's fine. I also have Partition Commander 11 portable, but couldn't find any a command to reclaim that space. Is Partition Magic still around?

Any ideas?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Search for and download GPartEd. You can create a bootable CD that will allow you to easily manipulate your partitions. If you have truly wrecked your computer and thereby cannot repair your OS installation, now would be the time to wipe your drive completely and start over.

GPartEd does allow you to recapture unallocated disk space in certain instances.

3. alzaabi

alzaabi MDL Junior Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Please try and use

Acronis Disk Director Home 11.0.2343 Update 2 Boot CD

google for it .. it is the best software dealing with HDD