Recommend open source virtualization environment?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Red Squirrel, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    I have been looking at my various options for a new virtualization environment. I am eyeing proxmox. Anyone have experience with it?

Right now I use virtualbox, but given it's more meant as a desktop app it does not have an interface like vsphere or equivalent would have. I end up having all the VM windows opened in a VNC session and it's just kinda dirty. I want something where I can see a list of all the VMs and open a console as needed. Being able to categorize and logically organize VMs would be great too, as well as full control on where they are on the disk. Virtualbox is bad for that, it just dumps files all over the place in the home folder and other locations. If I have a SAN with luns I want to be able to pick a lun and have everything in one folder for that particular VM, while another VM could be somewhere else. I don't have a SAN yet, but I plan on building one eventually. My ideal setup is two VM servers and one SAN.

Basically, I'm looking for the closest thing to vsphere, but free. I know I can "obtain" vsphere, but I rather just stick to open source, and stay legal, just overall less hassle.

Ability to have HA, live migrate etc is a bonus, but not a requirement.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Xen if you want to learn it, but Proxmox is also good

Otherwise you have to pay (nothing free in life)

sebus