Recommendations for HDD monitoring software please

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by willko, Feb 28, 2011.

1. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone's experience with HDD monitoring software has revealed. I've got a SBS2008 test server with a bunch of SATA drives I scavenged from older machines and I'd like to monitor them 24/7 and setup some kind of reporting (email based) if an issue arises. This is just a lab test, trying to increase skills for remote admin.

Any recommendations or warnings for server friendly SATA HDD monitoring software (Free is best but would like opinions anyway)? Chipset is P35 /ICH9R on a older Asus P5K-E mobo.

thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Russtavo

Russtavo MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2008
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    HDSentinel, very good, stable small footprint and see's SMART through Intel ICHRAID for each individual drive incl temp. Also reads thru a number of other RAID driver/controller combos.

5. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #7 kubato, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
    I will add my two cents for HDSentinel. I use it on all my servers, it will send emails too. It will do more than most need and works great. Nothing against the other suggested software, they work too but, Once I started using HDsentinel, I have never looked for another tool because it has filled all my needs and wants for reading hard drive smart data and giving me use full data that allows me to know when it is time to buy another drive. Just remember, drives are like tires, they may work great today but, they will fail at some time in the future. There is no drive that will last forever.