Recovering bios on a toshiba qosmio

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hugox30, Sep 7, 2011.

1. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok so i had trouble with this computer installing any os. So i came to this website for help and being the dumb person i am i followed someones advise here to flash my bios. Well it was flashing but the computer suddenly shut down i tried to turn it on but no post i still get fan and dvd activity. I would like to know if there is a way to recover bad bios on a qosmio x305 i looked at the thread about recovering but it wont work with usb flash drive. When i press fn+b and then plug it in the lights flash on it and then i press the power button and the fans go to full speed. Is that a good sign? my other option is to buy a 2nd motherboard. Btw if i buy another one it will be my 3rd as the original motherboard died it would not even turn on just light up when i plugged it in. Then i bought this one and it wouldn't install any os windows xp/vista/7 or any linux the only way it would even get to a desktop is if i disabled acpi. So i am asking if anybody knows how to recover the bios on this computer before i go out and buy a 3rd motherboard. Thanks

2. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    I think i found out why the bios update failed. The bios file the person on this website gave me was .FD but that is for insyde bios. My computer had phoenix bios with .ROM. I want to know if it is to late to save this motherboard i have no idea how to recover the bios i tried with a usb floppy but it won't read the floppy. But when i turn it on while holding fn+b and plugging it in then i press the power button it turns on with no lights but the fans are running at full speed. it won't read the floppy but 3 sec after the fans start the dvd drive flashes and makes a noise like it is looking for a cd. I already tried by removing the cd drive and hdd's but it still wont read the usb floppy. If someone knows how to fix this i will really appreciate the help. I already tried contacting the person who tried to help me but i don't think he is getting the messages i sent.

3. xdx

xdx MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2011
    try to use crisis method

4. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    Will the recovery fail if the cmos battery is not installed?

5. conghoaxa1

conghoaxa1 MDL BIOS/EFI Modifier

Oct 30, 2009
  6. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    run launcher.exe select CD-Rom Installat. if not, to recover from disk cd[/QUOTE]

I burned the file qx32v210.iso that was inside the .exe i put it inside the computer and it just spins up for 6 sec then it stops and nothing i left it on for 10 min but still the same????

7. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    I don't get it it goes into the recovery mode by holding fn+b but it does not read the usb floppy. but it makes the usb stick light up???

9. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    When trying the crisis method you must try one method at a time. Are you saying you have both the usb floppy and usb stick in use at the same time.
    In the bios recoverys that i have done i have mainly used the usb floppy method. Ensure that the floppy is bootable using the crisis disk to format and make bootable. Then you need the correct bios file and you may need to rename this to bios.wph.
    You may also need to try different versions of the bios updater util eg phlash16.exe. May be useful to use the version from your manufactures website.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    Just noticed conghoaxa1 post which he has kindly given the link for the bios and recovery. Have you not tried his recommendation

11. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    Is the computer supposed to at least try and read the floppy drive regardless of it being formatted to recover the bios.

12. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    Bumping this

13. drewbug

drewbug MDL Member

Aug 15, 2010
  14. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    #14 hugox30, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    (OP)
    Hi sorry about that i had many different bios files and i had one with the .FD and it got into the folder that you told me to download so that is why i thought it was the one you gave me. But i re downloaded the folder and you did give me the right one

15. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    I just tried what you said and nothing it just wont read the cd or floppy but it will go into recovery mode with fn+b. But i have a question will not having the bios battery installed affect the recovery process.

16. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
    What media does it try to read read in recovery mode.
    I would have thought that you need the bios battery installed for the recovery process.

17. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    For the floppy it just makes a click noise and does not read. On a usb flash drive some times it blinks really fast but before i even press the power button. For example i hold fn+b and plug the ac in. The lights on the computer flash for a sec and the usb flash just keeps on flashing it's light and after i press the power button it is still the same but the lights on the computer are off and the fans run at full speed.

I do have a usb hdd but when i plug that in the green power light on it turns on but not the red activity light. This leads me to believe the computer only gives power to the devices and it does not try to read them

The bios battery was soldered in and i de-soldered it thinking that the bios would reset but it didn't happen and right now it is removed.
    Would the bios battery really affect the recovery process i mean isn't it there to save the bios setting and not to make it work?

18. bp1

bp1 MDL Member

May 11, 2009
  19. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    I tried as mentioned by conghoaxa1 but i believe flashing from a cd is not to recover from bad flash but to update a working computer

There is one light that is turned on now permanently after the bad flash and it is next to the hdd activity light and it looks like a paper with a folded corner?

20. hugox30

hugox30 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2011
    Ok i have accepted the fact that this motherboard is dead and i have lost almost 300$.

I Thank all of you who tried to help. How can i close this thread.