Recovery tools after few formats?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by LauraYeo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. LauraYeo

LauraYeo MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2017
    Hello peeps! would there be a possibility to recover a lot of photos after 4-5 formats on hdd?
    and what tools I would have to use to recover them>?

running win 7 ult on laptop if that matters. :D

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    4 or 5 formats?
    Sorry no help. And good luck with that, you're going to need it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MajorGeeks

MajorGeeks MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2016
    What he said. If you wanted to make files unrecoverable, 1 pass will help, 5 passes should make it unrecoverable all the way up to 30 passes which is essentially a guarantee. Give it a shot, you should be able to save maybe 5-10% at best.

P.S: Use a portable recovery tool. Anything you do on your Pc now, like installing a file recovery app, will overwrite even more.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Pretty much a single pass makes it all but gone for good. Some fragments can be restored, but unlikely anything at all in full.

Format does not much damage (unless it is FULL where each sector is overwritten once - if so see first sentence)

Me, I would just get back to backup (assuming you have one...)

sebus

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Today's modern storage hardware and data density does make it much harder to recover anything.

The whole talk about recoverable files after multiple overwrites was about ancient HDD hardware with low storage density and pretty inaccurate head positioning.