Recreate Windows NT 4.0 ISO with cdimage, digital signature missing?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by johnye_pt, Nov 22, 2011.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    I have a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation CD, and just for the fun of it, I created an ISO, deleted the trailing 307.200 bytes added by ImgBurn, extracted all files to hdd and tried to recreate the ISO. I got an identical ISO, but it differs a few bytes near the end of the ISO, in a part that starts with "SIGNATURE" followed by a bunch of random bytes. The command line used was: cdimage.exe -nt -o -xx -bBOOTNT4.IMG -g0 -t12/6/1996,12 -lNTWKS40BR FOLDER Microsoft.Windows.NT4.SP1.Workstation.BR.iso. cdimage version is 2.28, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation is PT-BR. I can successfully recreate any Windows 98/Me/XP/2003 CD, but not this CD. Could it have any relation to the -s parameter?

-s sign image file with digital signature (no spaces, provide RPC
    server and endpoint name like -sServerName:EndPointName)

2. malakai1911

malakai1911 MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2008
    Maybe I'm a little off base here, but wouldn't you need a private key to create a digital signature. And not only that, but a Microsoft private signing key in order to recreate a Microsoft digital signature?

Because of that, I'm not sure how you could recreate other discs, signature included.

3. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    That's why I'm asking. I would like to know if those random bytes that start with "SIGNATURE" can be reproduced or not with cdimage.exe and whatever other files are needed, if any.

As long as there is no signature (it seems only NT4 has it), any untouched Windows ISO can be replicated with the right cdimage.exe version, command line parameters, date, timezone and boot file. Well, except for Windows 95, because it was built with cdimage.exe v2.28 and this version was never leaked...

4. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Windows 2000 RTM English is impossible to repack, since it uses 2.27.

I have the NT4.0 ISO's, but never tried to rebuild them. (Windows NT4.0 is not an OS I have ever used, so little interest).

Never seen the digital signature stuff, you are not mixing it up with UUIDREF?

5. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010