ReFS install on system disk

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by endbase, May 22, 2014.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #1 endbase, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    :confused: is it possible that any one knows to maniplulate windows setup to install on a ReFS system disk ?

I get during setup an warning that windows only can be installed on a NTFS file system !!

Thanks in advance greetz Base :)

Ps installing windows enterprise 8.1 with update

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Disk yes, partition, no.
    Even if you could, you wouldn't want to.
    If it ever stopped functioning for any reason, your system would be successfully bricked.

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Ok can you explain then how to install to a system disk instead of partition and as far my system get bricked i don't realy mind i always keep a double backup of my files :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Just make separate partitions for your system and data.
    When you run Windows Setup, create a system partition of a given size and format it.
    When you get into Windows after setup, create a partition on that unused space and then do your refs thing with that partition

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Let's see if i understand you get then 2 partitions ! one ntfs for windows and one refs with data on the system disk ?

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I haven't personally done it, but yes, that's my understanding.

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #7 endbase, May 22, 2014
    (OP)
    Yeah oke that should work because i also have used the reg trick to let me format refs in windows but i want to let windows install on a refs system there lies the problem because the installer does reconize refs but won't let me install on it because of limitations to ntfs

as far as i can see it seems to be impossible and i find that strange because ms launches a new file system do they want to reserve it for windows 9 to run on it ? is it once again all about marketing :p

8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    tried looking the same just to play with exfat and was a no no,
    only ntfs

9. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #9 endbase, May 22, 2014
    (OP)
  10. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    too lazy to explain but here some idea that can work in theorie:
    take a disk, format as ReFS - try to make it active (if not possible with diskmgmt.msc or diskpart edit the mbr by winhex or something (to mark partition active)
    ...the question does ReFS contain a "dummy" bootsector? I'm not an expert on this filesystem and don't use win8 anymore to check on the real bootsector.
    ...the tricky part.... exchange/write you're own bootsector that refers to bootmgr.
    ...maybe a complete exchange of the bootsector from the identical drive with ntfs is possible (with the only change of the partition-type-Byte from 07 (NTFS) to ReFS Byte - don't know the byte)
    But if there is some line with "bootmgr" or some other refering bootloader file (than you can just rename bootmgr to the filename that is called in bootsector)
    -now start to deploy install.wim with dism to the partition.
    -boot into some winpe environment
    -use bcdboot.exe to create automatically bcd and bootloader
    ...start windows-setup with ReFS.

If microsoft says it's not supported doesn't mean it's not working.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke i can follow the most of it but i left my programming days behind me so a more simple solution would be great :)

I like to play around a bit let see wat the future will bring if i find a constructive solution i will post it here ;)

Greetz base

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That part will probably work. But the bootmanager must be able to read files from ReFS, and I don't know if it can. I know windows has a driver for refs volumes, so if that driver can't be used when booting it's impossible.

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #13 endbase, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
    (OP)
    Now playing with my server windows server R2 2012 with update have a data disk in there and formatted to ReFS first thing I can see is that copying the data back is faster then before ! First it was about 35 minutes now it is only 10 minutes so that is a big difference :)

Have to reboot the system in 5 minutes and let see if everything works again :p

update : I'm realy satisfied @ the moment tested the game servers i'm running form the data disk and everything is loading faster then it was Happy happy joy joy !!

Greetz Base