ReFS on windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by endbase, Oct 4, 2014.

1. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Does anybody found something out about ReFS on windows 10 I find it strange that it isn't build in yet o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #2 moderate, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It is built-in and there are even two ReFS drivers. (v2 and v1) :))
    However formating of Non-Mirrored drives is crippled like in W8-1.

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.4.9841]
    (c) 2014 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>format e: /fs:refs /u /q
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    The new file system is REFS.
    Enter current volume label for drive E: DAT

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
    DRIVE E: WILL BE LOST!
    Proceed with Format (Y/N)? Y
    QuickFormatting 39,9 GB
    ReFS file system is not supported on this device.
    Format failed.

C:\Windows\system32>

3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    ...and all info above applies to x64 only (as in W8-1-x ReFS is built in x64 only NOT in x32, so it can be similar in W10).

4. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Any idea if it's possible to install the latest Win10 build #9926 on ReFS somehow?
    I tried a fresh install but the installer will only let you install to a NTFS filesystem.

I tried a "trick" by creating a 100MB NTFS partition like the OS does by default.
    And then the remaining space as Another ReFS partition.

It actually was possible to "trick" the installer to try doing the installation:
    Create the first small partition, next the large one and format it as NTFS.
    Alt+Tab back to the installation PE menu, select "refresh" it will now let you install to this partition...
    Alt+Tab back and format the drive as ReFS, the installation will not notice, just click next...
    But it fails after a couple of seconds when trying to copy the files...

5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #5 Skaendo, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    If you are creating the System Reserved partition at 100MB, that size is for Windows 7 & 8/8.1. The size for Windows 10TP is 350MB. At least that is all that I've ever seen created on my drives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #6 steven4554, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Windows 7 (In EFI Mode) and Windows 8.1 uses 350MB System Reserved partition too.

7. buraktamturk

buraktamturk MDL Novice

May 3, 2011
    Windows 7 uses 350MB too if the installer booted using EFI

8. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks, I didn't know that, though my system isn't UEFI yet. Will be some time later this year.

9. janos666

janos666 MDL Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Does anybody know if the Storage Space + ReFS "self-healing" (automatic recovery on redundant kind of storage spaces when the data doesn't match it's ReFS checksum) is now possible on RAID-5-like Parity Storage Spaces?

Last time I upgraded my HDDs I tried to create a Redundant Storage Space with ReFS but 1: it turned out ReFS could not self-heal on RAID-5-like SS, that is only for RAID-1 like SS - and - 2: ReFS looked unstable (full permanent data loss often happened after as much as a simple power outage during [seemingly] idle online time).

In the mean time (close to 2 years by now), I used software (Intel driver) RAID-5 with NTFS and periodically ran manual verifications on the array. Sometimes it found some errors which it theoretically repaired (but you can never be sure, unless it was a clear URE or you had checksums...). One time it was a clear URE (it showed up in the SMART log of the drive), other times it simply popped out of nowhere (these were probably caused by random bluescreen-like crashes or power outages, etc ... or possibly undocumented URE).

So, all in all, it would be nice to have this RAID-5-like SS + ReFS integrity checking and smart self-healing feature up and running. But I still don't want to buy a fourth drive for 1:1 mirroring (especially now when I don't want to replace every drives yet but I don't want to expand the array with a non-matching drive either, well, unless I can find a similar used drive which is similar and relatively cheap).

10. hanzzon2

hanzzon2 MDL Member

Dec 1, 2007