Regarding Windows 7 upgrade disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by weinter, Oct 25, 2009.

1. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #1 weinter, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Acer Aspire Timeline Upgrade Disc - Question about the official OEM method

Can someone outline the procedure of Windows 7 upgrade for those people with the upgrade disc.
    What is the activation procedure?

2. oxyblue80

oxyblue80 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    with the official oem method you do not have to do anything with certs/bios. if you bought your timeline between june 26 2009 and now it is eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7. furthermore, it should already have slic 2.1 and all u have to do is an in-place upgrade from vista or a clean install. since you are installing from the original oem upgrade disc, i am pretty sure it will install fully activated offline with a built in oem-slp key...

3. weinter

Feb 19, 2009
    But I tried the Official BIOS from Acer and the 2.1 cert doesn't work.

4. oxyblue80

oxyblue80 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    hmm.. so you're saying you re-flashed your BIOS :confused: assuming you did, were you supposed to? maybe you flashed with an older version and it didn't have 2.1?..

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    some update disks are not OEM disks, they are retail upgrade disks. You have to upgrade your existing install and then input the key after install.

If you have Windows XP you will have to use the "custom" install method to move your files and settings to the Windows.old folder. This will keep your files and settings ON your computer but NOT migrate them into your new install, if you want to do this then use the easy transfer wizard off the DVD. Otherwise you will have to manually copy everything into place.

If you are on Vista you can just use the Upgrade option and this will upgrade your install to 7. As far as your key goes unless they gave you a disk to flash your BIOS too, then it is probably a retail upgrade key, and you can only activate this key after doing an upgrade install of an existing install.

Some people say you can use the slmgr.vbs method to just install the key and it will activate that way, but without a upgrade disk I can neither confirm nor deny this.

6. weinter

Feb 19, 2009
    That is what I wanted to know for owners of upgrade disc on Acer Aspire Timelines.

7. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    As a suggestion...;)

If I was a Acer Aspire owner looking for info on the Timeline Upgrade Disc, OR someone who was familiar with the procedure I would NEVER know it by the thread title.
    (Nor your opening post. Please keep this in mind on future posts that a 'descriptive" thread title not only helps YOU, but helps OTHERS who may be looking for info.)

If you can, please EDIT the thread title to something like:

Acer Aspire Timeline Upgrade Disc - Question about the official OEM method

8. oxyblue80

oxyblue80 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    ahh.. yep, good call