Registered as an Insider, never installed an Insider Preview ISO. Some questions.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by havoque, Jul 24, 2015.

1. havoque

havoque MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I used my MS Account that I use with my Windows 8.1 Pro to register in the Insider Program, but never had the time to try downloading an ISO and test install it.

If I install the leaked WZOR Build 10240 and use my MS Account with it, will I be treated as an Insider? I mean, will I be treated as other insiders (MS's guinea pig) when it comes to updates and such?

10x

2. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    if you are in insider program you will be treated one ( if you leave program you need to upgrade from genuine win 7 /8 ). you can stop insiders builds from within windows update thou

3. buckwheat

buckwheat MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    I was an insider from the beginning and went through all the installs but my hard drive started clicking and crashed. So I reinstalled with another drive but it won't activate because product keys have been removed.
    I just grabbed a genuine win 7 key and installed insider preview and it was activated.
    No need for anyone to backup shame me , I already got that over on tenforums.

4. havoque

havoque MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Is there a way to leave the program without installing Build 10240 first? Like through an account settings on some MS site? I just want to upgrade my Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and be treated as a regular user, without the Insider related stuff.

5. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    If you are using a local account on the computer you want to update to Windows 10. You can do so with the 10240 ISO without ever using a MS online account. You do need to have internet connection though so the Activation server can save the Machine id.

You have to update an activated Windows 7 or 8 first but after that you can if you want do fresh installs and be activated. Again can be local account only if you install that way.