Reinstall a preinstalled laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bokkoman, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bokkoman

bokkoman MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2008
    #1 bokkoman, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2009
    Reinstall a preinstalled laptop? (check bios plz)

Hi there dear other forum members with lots of experience :D

I have a simple question.
    My girlfriend has a Packard Bell Easynote notebook with a preinstalled windows vista home basic.
    But since its preinstalled its full of ****** **** and makes the laptop freaking slow, cause it doesnt have very good specs (1,6ghz celeron, 1gb memory).

So what i want to do is reinstall vista with a copy of my vista ultimate with her home basic key which is on the back of the laptop.
    If i am right, when you have the ultimate vista it also contains home basic, right? You just need to enter a HB key?

Also if that is correct, is it a valid licence when i install it that way?

I also used Activation_backup.exe to get the cdkey, but that one is different than the one on the back.

So if anyone could give me some info on how to do this, is much apreciated :rolleyes:

2. bokkoman

Mar 4, 2008
  3. Suicide Solution

Suicide Solution MDL Addicted

Apr 29, 2008
    #4 Suicide Solution, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
    No, because the machine came with Vista Basic from the factory the SLIC bios info is already there. If it didnt come with Vista Basic from the factory you will need to buy a retail or upgrade version of Ultimate or hope the bios can be modded.

Not 100% on this, but if its an issue, Vista SP1 DVD on torrent sites have all versions on one disk and SP1 slipstreamed. The Ultimate key tells setup which version to install and the cert works on all versions.

4. bokkoman

Mar 4, 2008