Reinstall Media Center after a format

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Mosley, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Mosley

Mosley MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2012
    I should reinstall my Win8 Pro copy purchased thanks to a promotional code. Can I reinstall also Windows Media Center for free? Problem is that I cannot find the e-mail that Microsoft send to me with the code. Is it possible to read it from the register in somehow?

Many thanks in advance for the answer. :)

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Why format? Why not simply use system recovery and all your activation remains active?

3. Linktopower

Linktopower MDL Member

Sep 5, 2012
    I would think that as long as you activated the WMC before Feb 1st. You should be able to re add WMC with no issues.
    And as for finding the key in the system. You could always trying using Speccy to view the current key.

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    One word of caution .. I have 2 machines currently with Windows 8 pro Upgrades ($14.99) and then free WMC .. on one did all updates before Jan. 31st as W8 pro only and then added WMC on the Jan. 31st.. On the other added WMC right away back in December. I am now having some problems installing some updates in Jan. updates release that pertain directly to WMC .. My advise update W8 pro first then install WMC