Reinstalled Windows 7 but 100MB reserve not looking right....

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Aug 15, 2011.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #1 FattysGoneWild, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah something did screw up :)
    You can:
    • Ignore the partition as it's just 100MB anyway
    • Allocate it and name it System Reserved and rebuild whats supposed to be on there and rewrite the BCD on there
    • Use a good partition tool to get rid of the partition (this will take forever, cause the partition is infront of the partition)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    Hey thanks for the reply. I think option 1 sounds best? Option 2 seems really involved? If I leave it alone. It will not cause a problem or anything?

4. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes, option 1 recommended ;) as it will not appear in My Computer as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    #6 FattysGoneWild, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    (OP)
    Thank you guys as I am still reading up on this. I did come across this post using google. That sounds easy but never used that program before. I also still do not know how it happened when I installed 7. Obviously I did something wrong.

Note that you will then have 100MB of unallocated space on your HardDrive, but that is a tiny amount, and you will have no hidden, system partition to worry about messing things up... (Then you can even use a non-destructive disk editing and merging utility to then merge the 100mb back into the main Windows 7 install partition if you want. I didn't bother on the system I did it on since it is such a small amount of space that will not be missed...but if I wanted to, I would just use Acronis Disk Director to do it.)

6. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
  7. mohamedkamel

Jul 5, 2011
    I don't recommend that; I always have a non-allocated space in my HD, but never worried about it. I don't like partition or HD tools or software as its damage is more than its benefit (in special cases), or if I can say, not always they do the job perfectly. So, if you leave things as it is, this might be more comfortable to you and your system.

8. FattysGoneWild

Mar 7, 2010
    Okay. I will go ahead and leave it as is. As long as it will not cause problems? It would be all the same I imagine even if the System Reserve was originally there and still lose that 100mb.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    One possible fix.
    1. Back up your c: thru acronis, etc
    2. Boot from partition wizard boot cd and delete all partitions to make the entire disk unallocated.
    3. Boot from acronis boot cd and recover the image. You can resize the recovered image to any size or the entire disk (wonder why you need the entire disk for windows). It is always better to keep docs/photos on a separate partition.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    In fact, I would say partition wizard 5 is easier than 6.0 where the `apply' button is not easily seen.