Reinstalling Windows 7 on current hard drive......

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FattysGoneWild, Jun 27, 2011.

1. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I apologize if this is a really stupid question. But, If I was to reinstall Windows 7 again. During setup when it gets to the drive. Do I keep hitting next and let it do it automatically? Or do I select delete or format? Is it true Windows 7 does a quick format and does not truly erase everything like it should for a new fresh install?

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Win 7 will format whatever partition you let it install on. Nothing stays in that partition, it gets wiped clean.
    So as long as you have the right partition selected, go Next,if not select the right one and Next,

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Wrong.

Windows 7 will not auto format if the Partition is formated already.
    It will move the existing install to Windows.old on the same partition.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    +1 for Sheng,couldnt said it better, indeed all go to windows.old
    thanks for that, what i was trying to convey is OP can just follow through the instructions by win 7 when installing;anyway thanks

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I think if you go to advance options you can format the partition / drive completely and avoid the big Windows.old folder completely, though i'm not 100% sure on this

6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i thought so :biggrin:

7. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    So just to be clear for a clean install. I would go under advanced and then select format with current drive selected that has 7 installed already? Would delete not do the same thing? Or is that different?

8. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    "Delete" will remove your partition to unallocated space and then you'll have to create the partition and your partition table may change creating 100MB hidden primary partition which you might not had before.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can extend the 100mb partition.

1. Highlight the drive you want to install windows to

2. Click on "Advanced"

3. If it's a new drive, create a new partition. Windows will create the 100MB partition in addition to your new partition

4. Delete your newly created partition, leaving the 100MB partition.

5. Select 100MB partition, Extend. OK. Done.

10. jiangzhenjerry

jiangzhenjerry MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2011
    If you want a clean install, you should format the partition during setup.

HOWEVER: it is still a quick format, if you are talking about data security.