Relation of Surfing Internet with HDD/SSD write cycles

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kumaramy, Dec 4, 2017.

1. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hello.
    I have heard that no matter if it is HDD or SSD, it has finite number of write cycles which completes on some day. So, if it is true then saving (writing) files on SSD/HDD consumes some write cycles but I also want to know that if browsing on Internet, watching videos usually creates temporary files which also may consume some of the write cycles?
    Is my thought about browsing and surfing internet and watching videos is true?
    Thanks.

-Amit

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes it is.

3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Use ramdisk
    Place temp dir in to it

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    There are two things you can do with your browser settings to minimize unnecessary writes to your SSD.

1.) Limit the size of the browser cache. For instance, in Firefox the default size of the cache is 350MB. You can override this setting and make it 50MB instead.

2.) When you first open the browser, switch to Private mode. In Private, your browser will not save history or cookies.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Today's SSD's are better than ever. I have a four year old Crucial M500 SSD that's 120GB in size. I've had Windows 7, Windows 10, and several Linux distros installed on it during that time. According to Crucial, it's rated 72TB total writes. The last time I checked, I had only used 3% of the total write cycles in four years. At that rate, it's probably going to outlive me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Or if it's possible to have a second platter drive for storage, Then you can just tell windows to use that drive for storing temp internet files

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Winaddict

Winaddict MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Also add that browsers are optimized for fast surfing and delivering multimedia content so if you reduce the cache size and use the private mode (which wouldn't be used all the time), your overall multimedia experience will be penalized.

7. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I have 6gb of ram. Usually 4 GB is used.
    Can I use ram for that?

8. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Wouldn't the browser run out of cache size if I make it 50mb?

My SSD Samsung evo 250gb is 3 months old now. Total 1tb is written in 3 month! Half of the SSD is empty. All my personal files are saved. No additional personal files are being saved now. I only do browsing now i.e temp files. So as 1tb is now written, am I going so fast to complete write cycle?

9. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Can you please elaborate so I can make my PC it much better. I have 6gb of ram but only 4gb is getting used. Average 2gb space is always there. Are you suggesting to use ram?

10. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    My hint to consume less write cycles.
    Use a third party cache application or an extra SSD for cache.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Even with 1 tb in 3 months, that's about 4tb a year, your Samsung drive's warranty is good for 75tb. It'll take you over 18yrs to use 75tb @ 4tb a year. If your Samsung drive exceeds your warranty, then anything your using today will be too outdated to use in 20yrs

12. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #16 LiteOS, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    kumaramy
    yea check with resource monitor
    to be sure

btw u change also to system, so any application that run as system will use ramdisk
    i would do it if i had big drive, 2gb might be small for internal processes

u can just change to user, and still have same effect

13. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    You mean 2gb ramdisk may run out of space if I change path in System Variable section?

And you suggest than for not running out of space, I should only make changes in User variable section only.?

14. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    yes for both, so when u install new update wont get effected

15. kumaramy

kumaramy MDL Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Okay. I used to like download and install updates but now. After purchasing new SSD i decided to stick with NEVER CHECK WINDOWS UPDATES. Installing updates makes pc slower thats what my experience is.
    My pc takes approximately 5 sec to shutdown and it also restart pretty quickly now.
    I have Kaspersky to protect my pc and I usually do my only personal work rather surfing harmful sites.
    But yes. I only take only and only necessary update. Usually the update that is required by specific software installation. For ex. Runtime c++ library, etc.
    I strictly do not take system update.

16. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    kumaramy
    Maybe try to stick to RS1 windows 10 ltsb version , should be stabler