Relative privacy with Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB), noob edition?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by IAmAPC, May 1, 2018.

1. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    To continue from here...

As a relatively newbie to Windows tinkering, I was recommended Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB) for maximum privacy/mimimal effort (relatively to Windows). I don't have to worry about activating it, let's say.

What are the necessary steps I need to take, explained in a newbie friendly way to regrain my privacy (as much as possible) in windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB)?

What @ProudPirate and @JWilly mentioned in the other thread are Chinese to me. a newbie-friendly step by step to the Enterprise (LTSB) edition would be appreciated!

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Privacy and Windows 10 are two separate planets

3. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Speaking of Windows 10 Enterprise. LTSB edition. In this thread, I was recommended still, this is my best bet. In the Windows ecosystem. Am I missing something?

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    LTSB 2016 is outdated and you might bump often into annoyances that have been solved in the current branch. It's also picky about recent (gaming) hardware.
    My advice: Windows 10 Education.
    It offers more control than Pro when it comes to privacy. It's also readily available in the general consumer branch so no licensing shenanigans and hunting every time for the business esd's and iso's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    LTSB 2016 is based on RS1 while MS just released RS4 so it is outdated hence the "issues" with certain latest gaming/newest hardware & possibly some other scenarios(like upcoming new gen processors/mobos/gfx card) too.

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    There is no such thing as privacy in a public arena, and the internet is a public arena. You will have privacy until you connect to the internet, then no matter what OS you use, you can kiss privacy away. This is the same as what occurs when you step outside your home. You are no longer private. So stop living a privacy pipe dream, and just use whichever OS you want, and browse the internet. It is all the same. I use the newest build of Windows which is RS5, and have no privacy issues. I install with MS account, and MS recommended. I do not worry. Life is good!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The whole purpose of LTSB is staying the same for the long term ;) 5 + 5 years of support and no frequent upgrades, they never should have released it for general use. It's a specific OS for specific tasks.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No issues with gaming here. It mostly affects UWP games from Store ...but since they're crap i don't mind :cool2:.

9. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I've seen more than a dozen gaming laptops (latest asus rogs and acer predators) having issues in some games, driver problems, dp, hdmi, widi output issues etc.
    People hunt for more fps and think that LTSB would be perfect, but it really is not for gaming on latest hardware. It does work a lot better for older machines, which coincidentally - fits it's purpose :cool:

10. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    There are no gaming issues with Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 as far as I'm concerned. As a matter of fact, the reason I installed it was because I experienced huge slowdowns while trying to run games on both Windows 10 Spring Creator's Update (Build 1703) and Fall Creator's Update (Build 1709). No problems since.

11. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Absolutely, a lot of issues that gamers have with win10 aren't present in LTSB. Things like that awful XBox app or windows suddenly deciding to download an update.

Windows 10: I am assuming direct control

12. plasmah77

plasmah77 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2016
    Recently installed Window 10 LTSB 2016 on a i5 8400 with a Geforce 1060 6gig on a Z370P motherboard. No issues at all here with games and system runs awesome. I even trimmed the LTSB ISO down further using Toolkit Version 8.6. After install did a few more of my own tweaks one of which was to boot with a Linux 64 CD and mount the Windows system partition and perm delete that got damn RuntimeBroker.exe. This system is running smooth and fast! Thanks to all you guys here. Cheers!

13. kb117

kb117 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Can you point me in the right direction(links) on how you did what you did, esp on that RuntimeBroker.exe. tia

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    You can delete any windows system file by simply booting through a live linux usb/cd & then just go to the file location & delete it.However why would one want to delete runtimebroker is another thing as this exe only consumes ram when using UWP(aka apps) applications on win 10 which ltsb doesn't have to begin with.In case one uses UWP apps then this exe is essential because without it your privacy settings can't be applied to apps which will then force windows to close those apps without running them.

15. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You don't need linux to simply delete files, you can just shift+click restart - troubleshooting - advanced options - command prompt.
    You could also run a GUI if you place Explorer++ / Total Commander somewhere, and then launch it directly by path ( D:\Tools\x64\Explorer++.exe )

But, why would you delete OS files and compromise your system? who knows how many errors you will get because of that, breaking features.
    Really want to block something from running? Use IFEO!
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\RuntimeBroker.exe" /v Debugger /d "%Windir%\System32\systray.exe" /f

And to be safe, before doing such experiments, make an undo.bat that you can run from under troubleshooting - advanced options - command prompt
    Code:
    pushd C:\Windows\system32\config
    reg load HKLM\Undo1 SOFTWARE
    reg delete "HKLM\Undo1\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\RuntimeBroker.exe" /v Debugger /f
    reg unload HKLM\Undo1

Be a tweaker, not a butcher.

16. LocoMan

LocoMan MDL Novice

Jul 10, 2018
    Which toolkit is it? I mean the one you used to trim down the ISO.

17. LifeIsNotEasy

LifeIsNotEasy MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2015
  18. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Ever update has been a completely unnecessary pain in the arse, they have been of no benefit to me, just change for change sake. Most hardware manufacturers still provide driver support right back to Windows 7, why should LTSB have a problem?