Remarks on "Dynamic" method of Phoenixtool on EFI BIOS (ASUS)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by hunkiller, Oct 24, 2013.

1. hunkiller

hunkiller MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2013
    #1 hunkiller, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    I find the tool quite useful (thanks for it), although I have some remarks on one of its "methods" as it does not work.

As you may know ASUS BIOS initially contains two RSA public keys and the code to create SLIC table dynamically (depending on the setup, it may be enabled or not). In this case there's no point adding another SLIC table. Here comes the promising "Dynamic" method of the tool, that pretends to enable it.

Out of curiosity I looked into BIOS modified by this "method", and it turned out that:

- they patched some jumps (which they mysteriously call "locks") here and there in SLP2DXE module
    - they replaced the first Public Key with exact same as second one (what the hell?)
    - not to mention they inserted SLP1.0 string into some CSMCORE module, while there already was a module SLP1DXE containing that string

In general what they call "locks" is just a condition whether to allocate SLIC table Public Key Struct, and it depends on return value of preceding function. Why did they patch two jumps instead of return value of that func, can be only explained by fact that they probably guessed them with trial & error, LOL (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7033-Insyde-bios-mod-requests/page664?p=436424&viewfull=1#post436424). The two following patches (Public Key replacement) and SLP1.0 string injection are useless and not necessary, unless that supposed to be some voodoo thing :eek:

No way this crap would work, and in the end you're left with an incomplete SLIC table (missing Marker Struct).

Furthermore, I analyzed the aforementioned function and there's no magic in there. It revealed that you can enable SLIC table just like the manufacturer by writing some bytes into the CNFG block with the bt.exe utility from ASUS, and all that without the need of patching, flashing and s**t.

So please improve the tool or remove that non working "method".

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009