Remotely controlling another computer.

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jetjock, Apr 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm almost sure I asked this here before but I can't find the post. I need a free program to allow me to work on my sister's and my daughter's computers from my machine. I've tried Team Viewer and it sucks! Constantly telling me that I'm in a sponsored session and freezing up about every minute or two requiring a new connection. :mad:

Anybody have another proggy that's easy to use? Sister and daughters are novices, so it has to pretty much be start and forget for them. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tomtomboy99

tomtomboy99 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    The only freeware I know of is Remote Desktop (Part of Windows) & VNC. If you don't mind paying a little, you cay try GoToMyPC.

3. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I like LogMeIn, since it runs over HTTP, you don't need to forward any ports or have any special configuration running.

also, if you've got a jailbroken iPhone, there's LogMeIn Ignition, control your Windows or Mac based system from iPhone

4. Tlinux

Tlinux MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Another vote for Logmein, It's great, and I install in on family members every time they bring me a new system :)
    I can then help them from anywhere that I've got web access, use the "laser pointer" to guide them over the phone if needed, and it handles multiple computers for free.

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Logmein looks just fine except I can't do file transfers with the free version! :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. m3xic4ndiy3i

m3xic4ndiy3i MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Teamviewer is the best option, u can transfer files easily...try it

7. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    He said he already tried TeamViewer, but this doesn't work for him...maybe read the actual question next time?

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    How fast is your (and the pc you want to connect to his) internet connection? Maybe that's why teamviewer is slow. I used teamviewer a couple of times to connect to a friend's pc and it worked flawlessly (I have telenet epressnet, I don't know his), but I must admit that he lives less then 500m in birdview vrom my home

9. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Well, not trying to be a smart ass here or anything, but if you'll check my original post you will see my objections to Teamviewer. You are right about it being a good program, but in concept only. It just doesn't work for me. I really get tired of having to clear the constant reminders that I'm being sponsored and having to reconnect every one to two minutes because the program has frozen and stopped responding! :(

10. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Which version did you try?

11. bseos

bseos MDL Member

Dec 5, 2007
    #16 bseos, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Famatech Radmin & DameWare Mini Remote Control

^2 of the best ones in my opinion, but are costly.

0ther free alternatives:
    TightVNC
    UltraVNC

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Have you tried UltraVNC? It is free! I personally use either the build in remove desktop program or Symantec PcAnywhere 12 to do it. I have used UltraVNC before and it works great but you may have to forward a port or 2, nothing to worry about though. It lets you send/receive files too. A good solution and the best part is, it is open source(At least it used to be lol). I would definitely give it a try though dude.

13. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Version 5.

14. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010