Remove ads from Windows 8 apps

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 1337chaos, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    #1 1337chaos, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    HUGE UPDATE POSTED. PLEASE UPDATE TO VERSION 1.0 IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY.

WARNING: Please stay away from this if you're using the 8.1 preview, as it breaks certain apps because of permissions issues.

I just finished writing this small batch file to remove ads from within all Windows Store apps. If you find an app that this doesn't work on, please leave a comment and I'll try to update it to include support for that app.

It's easy enough to run.

1. Download and unzip the folder
    2. Run AdRemove.bat (Click yes if prompted by UAC)
    3. If this is your first run, choose option A, otherwise skip to number 4.
    4. Choose option B to start the ad removal process.
    5. (Optional) Choose option C to restore option A to defaults. If you choose to run this, you will have to run option A again on the next run.
    6. Choose option D and close all open apps (Mouse to upper left corner, right click on every app and choose close)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to leave a comment.

Changelog:
    v1.0 - Huge update! Complete makeover of script (Thanks to Humphrey) Will now run as an administrator, and allows for restoring the Take Own command. Tons more ads removed!

v0.8 - Updated to support ad removal in the "Sky News" and "Accuweather" apps, as well as fixed an issue where certain people could not use this if their Windows drive was not C:\

v0.7 - Do I even need to say it? MORE ADS GONE!

v0.6 - Yet again, more ads should be removed that were still showing.

v0.5 - Removal of even more ads in even more apps.

v0.4 - Removal of certain full-page video ads.

v0.3 - Should fix issues in certain apps where ads were still showing

v0.2 - Added alpha support to disable ads in built-in apps like Weather, Travel, Sports, etc. I will keep working towards this.

v0.1 - Initial release. Only aftermarket Windows Store apps are supported.

Attached Files:

2. tinux

tinux MDL Junior Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks

Just installed it . it took a long time which means there were a lot of junk insralled. Will let u know later

3. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    The more apps you have installed, the longer it will take the change the permissions of them all.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Whenever you use takeown, you should also use a method to restore the permissions back to what they were. MS likes to cause errors when you takeown system files.

5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #5 murphy78, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I just thought of something.
    You could try running a runonce command and rebooting.
    That might run under SYSTEM, negating the need for the takeown.

Try changing your takeown script to something like this:
    Code:
    reg add HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /f /v "01-AdRemover" /d "C:\AdRemover.bat"
    shutdown /g /t 5
    See if that gives you the proper permissions so that you don't have to do a takeown and fubar your system files any more than you're already doing by removing the ads.

6. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    #6 1337chaos, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I like the thought, but this would have to be run every time you install a new app from the store. You would have to reboot after every run. The current implementation doesn't require any reboot at all, and I haven't had a single problem with taking ownership of the Apps folder on any of my 5 computers. It's not a system folder, so there's really nothing to worry about.

7. ray1222

ray1222 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Works great as far changing the permissions go. Specifically does not work in the Microsoft Solitaire Collection: Daily Challenges. It does not even remove the ad in the "box".

8. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    #8 1337chaos, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for that. I'll look into this specific app and see what they're using for an ad provider.

EDIT: Just updated the original post, this should fix your issue. I tested it on VMware and had no issue with ads showing in the Daily Challenges window, though the frame was still there. Let me know if it works for you.

9. BlackBart

BlackBart MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2013
    Works a treat. Thank-you for this one.

10. pavelcho69

pavelcho69 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    doesnt work already tryed it after the "remove ads" they still there so...

11. ray1222

ray1222 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    Thanks for trying to help with this, 1337chaos. I tried this latest version and although in some of the metro apps it seems to work, I still am not getting any changes in the Microsoft Software Collection: Daily Challenges. Of course, there is an ad window when you first open up the challenges, and that really does not bother me much, though it is still there. The big thing is that when you open up any of the 5 challenges, you will get a full page video ad that you have to wait for. They vary in length from maybe 45 seconds down to 10 seconds, but they are the annoying ones. They come up, it seems, on some kind of timer after you play awhile, returning after perhaps a half-hour of play. I also looked through the xml files but I just could not see where this was controlled from. I've learned to live with it now, but if you can, it sure would be nice to get rid of them. Thanks for giving it a try.

12. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    #12 1337chaos, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    (OP)
    Ah! I see now. I assumed you meant the ad in the black border when you first open challenges. Sorry about that! Let me see what I can do about the video ads. I do remember seeing a string for video ads somewhere while I was testing some things.

Updated the script to v0.4. I was able to remove the video ads in VMware. Hopefully it works for you as well.

13. ranx91

ranx91 MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    hi!
    i'm new in this forum,but doesn't matter ....i run this tool and it only removed ads from "meteo app" ...other apps like "trackseries" still has ads...is it normal??;maybe this aps has a different file for ads!!

can you check your script???

thank you very much
    (ps:sorry form my terrible english)

14. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    I've just downloaded TrackSeries and run the remover, and it got rid of the ads for me. Remember, you have to re-run the AdRemover.bat each time you install a new app, and if "TrackSeries" is already running on your computer, you have to close it and re-open it for the ads to be removed. By "close it" I mean move your mouse to the upper left corner of the screen, right-click on TrackSeries, and click close.

15. ray1222

ray1222 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    My respect and great thanks, 1337chaos!

IT WORKS!

Fabulous. This was my biggest peeve regarding Windows 8.

16. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Doesn't work for me....When I run the ad remover it says it can't find the file specified???

17. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    Are you unzipping all of the files to a folder on your computer? You can't run it from within the zip file.

18. 1337chaos

1337chaos MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2013
    Glad I could be of help! If you find any other apps that this doesn't work with, don't hesitate to come back and let me know. Ill update it whenever necessary.

19. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes all files are unzipped into a folder and then run as admin.

20. zefyx

zefyx MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2010
    Great tool, thanks for the contribution! Its too bad we can't do anything about some of the frames.. for now. Will keep my eye on this thread for future updates.