Remove Border on WMP 11

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by jamat8, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jamat8

jamat8 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm a computer novice (just retired). I have a laptop that has Windows Vista and I have the Windows Media Player 11.

When I go to full screen, there are borders on the sides of the video. I see where I can change the color of the borders, but I can't see anywhere that will let me delete the borders completely------so I can actually have the video in full screen.

Is there a way to remove the borders?

I appreciate whoever takes the time to reply.

Thanks

2. Shadowman2oo7

Shadowman2oo7 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
    Instead of maximizing the window just double click on the video and it will go full screen. To return to window mode double click on the video again.

Hope that helps.

3. jamat8

jamat8 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    Thanks, but didn't work

Shadowman---thanks for your reply-----but it still doesn't go full screen (has the borders on the sides). I've tried doubleclicking and everything else.

I would have thought that there'd be something in the "preferences", but there's just the option to change the border color.

Anyone else have any advice or tricks?

Thanks.

4. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Can you post screenshot or something about your problem?

I really cant see any reason why it wouldn't go to full screen by double clicking...

5. URBi

URBi MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2008
    Try (Left)Alt+Enter

6. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    #7 juzz, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  7. jamat8

jamat8 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    Shadowman

Thanks for all replies.

Shadowman-----it's your first cited "this".

Does the video aspect ratio have something to do with it, as cited above?

Thanks again, all.

8. jamat8

jamat8 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    Hey Juzz!

Juzz----i downloaded that vlc player, and I get the same borders as on WMP 11.

How did you stretch it to go to fullscreen?

Thanks!

9. Shadowman2oo7

Shadowman2oo7 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2007
    Jamet thats the thing is the aspect ratio is fixed by the video. It cannot be changed unless you re-encode the video and all that will do is distort the picture by stretching it. VLC does have an option to change the aspect ratio on the fly but again it will stretch the video. What I mean by this is take a video with a 4:3 aspect ratio like you suggested to make it fit you change the aspect ratio to 16:9 to fit a widescreen. What you will notice is that people and objects in the video will be stretched vertically (short and fat,circles not round but oval)

Video encoders do letterboxing(the term for the black borders) so to retain the aspect ratio and not distort the picture during playback. Do a search on google or wikipedia for letterboxing to get more information on what i am talking about. What you are wanting to do is possible but very very involved and is not something I would suggest for a novice. I am not saying that I am an expert by any means.

10. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Then your movie AR is 4:3. Meaning source is full screen, not wide screen. Better watch it with default AR in my opinion

If you want to stretch you can try options stretch or crop on right click menu. But notice that then picture stretches and may look weird.

As said before I recommend watching that movie with original aspect ratio.

11. jamat8

jamat8 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2008
    Thanks!!!

Shadowman et all: Thanks for all the help. I understand now. I think it's great that there's forum's such as this where people take the time to help other people!

Thanks again,

jamat

12. adaada

adaada MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2008
    JAMAT if you like windows media player more than VLC or any other program and you want the aspect ratio problem solved let me know.

As you probably noticed, with VLC you have to change the aspect ratio everytime. I figuered a way with WMP to fix the aspect ration to 16:9 or whatever you want.

let me know.

cheerio.