Remove English language?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by manhas, Apr 5, 2015.

1. manhas

manhas MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi i just installed PT-br language pack on build 10051 i was wondering how can i remove the english language since Windows shows in some apps only english
    thanks

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    as to my knowledge you cannot uninstall the basic language version which you have installed in the first place because it'll break your system

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #3 T-S, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Yes you can

After you have installed your LP and all is working fine, just open regedit and adjust the values

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Locale

(change the default and setup values from 409 and en-US to your own language values: say, it-IT and 410 for Italian/Italy)

then reboot

then launch Lpksetup and remove the English language pack.

That's all ;)

4. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I wouldn't do it anyway. You may experience some strange issues by doing that.

5. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Make a backup image of your install just in case T-S's instructions don't work on your machine. Then try his instructions, only way you will know for sure whether it works or not. Please report results back here for all to learn from. Good Luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    #6 halasz, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Changing system language never worked cleanly for me. You end up with duplicate device descriptions etc in both languages for the the same thing as Windows names things based on system language at time of creation. It works but looks messy as the old ones are not deleted.

Next some badly written apps (everything written by Lenovo and Cisco in my case) also look at system language not display language. Or half of the app looks at system language, half looks at the display language and the third half ends up in whatever language you specified (or was either display or system language) at install time. You end up with one app displaying several languages.

Try it by all means but you would be better off clean installing in the language you want in the first place or you'll spend months and it will still look a mess. I spent a couple of months hacking around before giving up trying to change French to English and just installing everything again (starting from Windows) in English.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    This works perfectly since the age of Vista, but even before (although wad impossible to remove a nonexistent English language pack) the trick worked great.

Say I had all my NT server machines in my language, installing NT workstation's Service pack and Explorer not meant to be installed on an English version.

Indeed this is what we are going to do, changing system's language.

To change just display's one you have to look at HKCU not HKLM.

I have even Win 8 RP (build 8400) completely in my language, language that was never released by MS for that version

I just copied the MUIs manually in the right place then I did what I wrote above.