remove kms 180 day activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by adrian2055, Oct 23, 2013.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Please forgive me if this question has been asked. I searched the forum, but may have overlooked it. I downloaded windows 8 evolution edition and it uses the 6 month kms activation. Is there a way to to remove it? I would like to use a permanent activation method. If there is no way to remove it can someone tell me how to restore the file menu? That is the only reason I'm using the custom version anyway so I can have edit-undo and othet familiar features. Maybe there is an app for that. Thanks for any help you all can provide.

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    No way, sorry. KMS is made to have an expiration date. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It is using retail eval activation instead of KMS. Unlike previous Enterprise Evals, 8.x Enterprise Evals can't be converted to non-eval by simply changing the key. You need to download non-eval copy of Enterprise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. eydee

eydee Guest

Maybe he's really talking about some "evolution edition" and not eval. Something like XP black edition and other stuff that exist on torrent sites. He calls it a "custom version" and it seems to have built-in KMS activation (autokms?), something the real eval certainly doesn't have.

5. wantafanta

wantafanta MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2010
    Windows® 8 Evolution 2014: h**p://w**.reckonsteam.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=81428

Apparently I'm not allowed to post links.

6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #6 Smorgan, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    I feel we are confusing this a bit.

KMS activation always has a expiration date however in this case it is the matter of the OS itself having an expiration date which must be remedied because it is of course a evaluation copy.

Ummm Open up CMD and type in "Slmgr.vbs -dlv"

As we need to know what nishant used (yes if need be I can ask him directly as he bugs me occasionally to join staff on his forum. I continue to decline cause i dont do staff anymore lol).

@tito you're straight up wrong in this case cause we are messing with a custom copy of Windows 8. I would recommend using Cody's nice Microsoft Tool kit to reactivate the KMS it may already have it in the tasks though.

UPDATE: IT says evolution edition not evaluation edition lol

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    hmm

Activation Needed :No

I wonder what they use to "activate"... After the 1st (windows) update I guess it wont be activated anymore.

8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    They use or nishant use KMS Activation.

9. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Yes it is a modded build. I only wanted it because it has the file menu in explorer. If I could find a way to have the explorer file menu with an app I'd ditch the modded version.

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Oh, my mistake. Its windows 8 and not 8.1.

11. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hey everyone. problem solved. I found winaero ribbon disabler to put win7's file menu into the original win8 so I ditched the custom version.