Remove Testsigning Watermark, Windows 8 x64 9200

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pendularium, Dec 2, 2012.

1. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    #1 pendularium, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    <TL;DR>

Does anyone run an activated Windows 8 Pro MC x64 9200 and need testsigning to be on?

If so, do you have a working solution for removing the watermark above the clock?

</TL;DR>

The watermark says:

----
    Test Mode
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
    Build 9200
    ----

A quick Q&A:

Q: Just activate windows properly and all watermarks will go away.

A: This is not an activation watermark. My W8 is activated anyway. This watermark is simply a result of having testsigning on.

--

Q: Hey noob, why not just read one of the 5,863 threads already available on this subject instead of making another one?

A: In the threads that are actually talking about activated W8 9200, there seems to be a few common solutions: 1) Turn testsigning off (this won't work for me), 2) Use 'My WCP Watermark Editor' (For one, I have trust issues with random .exes. Another thing here is that I tried it inside a virtual machine only to have it freeze the first time [requiring an sfc /scannow] and then only half work the second time, leaving only the middle line.), 3) Use this W7 solution from 2009 (can't post links, otherwise I would link to it. The bottom line is that it doesn't work), 4) Try a registry fix (again, would link if I could...but tried this fix already and it failed).

--

Q: Why not just turn testsigning off?
    Code:
    bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF
    A: This really won't work. I need to have it enabled so I can run certain drivers.

----

I figure the offending watermark is probably somewhere inside shell32.dll.mui and/or unimdmat.dll.mui and/or user32.dll.mui and/or another file, but I haven't a clue about how to go about editing them properly. I really would prefer a less hacky solution (or more easily reversable...I guess it's not that hard to just do a bunch of .baks), but not sure there is one.

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Not really relevant. It's not hacktivation, and it's not the point of the thread to discuss self-signing again (because it does nothing to help with what this thread is about).

I do, but my crude workaround is to not care about it. ;)

3. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    This seems like the most promising thing I've seen so far - thank you. I'll give it a shot.

Hacktivation? Windows is activated.

I've already signed the drivers with dseo13b.exe. I knew I should have mentioned that. To my knowledge, you HAVE TO sign drivers even in testsigning mode to get them to load.

4. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    Heh...that is one good approach, but then I'd need something else to distract me from actually paying attention to things I should be doing.

5. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Instead of using dseo13b.exe to sign your drivers. Just run this in Cmd prompt:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu Yes

Now when you reboot your f8 screen will show. Just run windows with "disable driver signing." And you won't have to worry about a watermark and no worries about drivers.

6. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    I tested this method and removed the bottom two lines, but kept the top one:

----
    Test Mode
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (<--Removed by mod)
    Build 9200 (<--Removed by mod)
    ----

I think the concern with doing it this way is that I'd have to select that option from the boot menu every time I start up. My lazy calculus says it's probably less annoying to just live with the watermark than to have to select a menu option every time every time I want to start or restart.

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    1- Google, download and install the Resource Hacker (reshack_setup.exe)
    2- Take ownership and control (Windows\System32\en-US\shell32.dll.mui)
    3- Open in Resource Hacker
    Choose String table Resource 2070/1033
    Delete lines 33108, 33109, 33118
    Compile Scrit
    Save
    Reboot
    Run > mcbuilder
    Reboot
    Done!

8. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    #9 pendularium, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
    (OP)
    This got me most of the way there. In conjunction with the above, here is what ended up working:

With Resource Hacker - Modify 2 Files (Or see attachment)

--

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\shell32.dll.mui

-String Table
    >2069-1033 --> Delete *33088, "Test Mode"*
    >2070-1033 --> Delete *33108, "%ws Build %ws"*

--

C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui

-String Table
    >1-1033 --> Delete *12, "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center"*
    >1-1033 --> Delete *13, "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center"*

--

One unfortunate outcome of modifying basebrd.dll.mui is that in Control Panel\System and Security\System (or charms bar > settings > pc info) the top "Windows edition" section is now blank. I tried keeping just line 12 and then line 13, but one way doesn't work at all and the other way has the same effect as when both are deleted. In any case, it does clean up the desktop, so I think I'll keep it.

View attachment Watermark.zip

9. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #11 Mr Jinje, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    This how-to seems to work in 8.1x86 (tested in Core) with testsigning and disabled integrity checks.

10. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Update : This definitely messes with the WMI_Win32_OperatingSystem.Caption results. Have been using that field to display OS version info and after the watermark it reads 'Microsoft ' instead of 'Microsoft Windows Server Datacenter 2012-R2'. Just a heads up for interested parties, use a different field in your apps.