Remove Un-Used Devices/Drivers Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Reign_Of_Freedom, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Had an issue with devices no longer present, so i figured i would post here on how to do it.

First you go to Start then Right Click - Computer select Properties. Choose Advanced System Settings on the left panel.

Select Enviroment Variables - see Screen Shot

11-22-2010 7-30-32 PM.jpg

Then Under User variables box select New

11-22-2010 7-32-49 PM.jpg

Then just type in the following as you see it in this screenshot - (devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices)

11-22-2010 7-29-34 PM.jpg

Once your done with that hit ok to save. Go to start type in devmgmt.msc then select devmgmt. Once you have that pulled up click view and select "show hidden drivers".

The rest is easy just go through your list and right click and uninstall the devices that are greyed out. Some of them will give you an option to also remove the associated driver as well.

Hope this helps!

Ignore my cursor lol

2. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    thanx man..but how about installing the unknown driver like "base device" in my case..the driver have a yellow exclamation mark besides it

3. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    #3 Reign_Of_Freedom, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
    (OP)
    If it has the yellow mark then right click it choose properties and select details tab - look through the dropdown. Usually will give you a clue as to what the driver is.

Edit: Some drivers you will have to download manually as windows sometimes does not find the driver at all.