Remove USB and restart your computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by viggen64, Oct 14, 2015.

1. viggen64

viggen64 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi
    My first post here, I would like to share a little thing if you install Windows from a USB stick

I haven't seen this on this Forum or any other place
    When you install Windows from a USB device you have to remove the USB at the right moment

If you don't do that sometimes the install start all over again
    If you open up notepad and save it as empty but name your saved note as

WARNUSB.TEXT

Then put it in the Sources map on your USB stick and you don't have to bother
    about it, you get a popup that says remove your USB device
    but be sure you turn on show filename extension before so you get .TXT suffix right

I discovered this when I downloaded Windows 8 from Microsoft's Upgrade assistant
    I while ago

You can put it in directly to a bootable stick,
    I install Windows multiple times a week sometimes, and it's nice that you can do other stuff in the meanwhile :worthy:

Remember this comes from MS Upgrade Assistant original, I just happen
    to see this

/viggen64

2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I've never had this issue?

I think that it could be how the boot settings are configured in the BIOS. Mine are always set to HDD first, and if I need to boot from something else I use F12 at boot and select the device that I want to boot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    It's your boot order. In your bios set the hdd to boot before usb. Just use the bootmenu to boot your usb key for install.
    Having said that, some bios' do CHANGE boot order when you plug a USB key in...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viggen64

viggen64 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi
    Thanks for your answers, I am talking about when you do a clean install "boot from
    your USB"
    I always use the F12 quick boot or F11 on some computers to boot and install
    After you boot and selected language, partition your HDD and so on you come to that moment when Windows 8,8.1,10 restart your computer
    sometimes in my experience if you dont remove your USB device the installer start from scratch again

If you happens to have a ISO to USB downloaded from Windows 8 upgrade assistant look in the sources map and you find WARNUSB there
    You dont find it if you make your USB from a DVD or even Windows 10 media creation tool doesn't have it

/viggen 64

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You are absolutely right, the way it is and so it has always been.

6. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    Thank you.

I use to install windows in lots of different computers, and it happen all the time.

some computers only boot from usb if you set it in BIOS, and windows start reinstalling over and over again, until you change boot order in BIOS.

7. viggen64

viggen64 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    To clarify
    Name your note as WARNUSB and save it, then you get a .txt suffix