Remove Windows 8 Setup Language Prompt

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by E71, May 8, 2013.

1. E71

E71 MDL Novice

May 8, 2013
    #1 E71, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    [SOLVED] Remove Windows 8 Setup Language Prompt

Hey everyone,

I have a Windows 8 ISO I'm trying to remove the setup language prompt from.

At the moment it pops up with the following options:

My Language is English
    Eigene Sprache: Deutsch
    Ma Langue: Francais
    etc.

I've tried following several different technet articles to remove unneeded languages, set the default language, with imagex/dism/intlcfg etc but I've had no luck.

I just want it to go straight to the screen with language, time/currency format, keyboard layout options.

Would someone kindly point me in the right direction?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You may use this to remove the unnecessary languages.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. E71

E71 MDL Novice

May 8, 2013
    #3 E71, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for the link. I'm trying to figure out how this works.

Since it's an AIO ISO I had to drop some images but now it's asking me to select language packs to remove... Where can I find these? Microsoft download center doesn't appear to offer downloads for basic European languages.

4. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    It's a multilanguage ISO then you just have to remove those you don't want and rebuilt boot.wim and install.wim with the soft, that's all. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    #5 murphy78, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I can help you in the right direction, tho I've never actually removed them; only added them.

Firstly, on a fully integrated win8 dvd it should have 2 different boot.wim indexes with a few packages each. It should also have a lang.ini in the boot.wim index 2 that reflects the choices. The install.wim would just have one big language pack for each additional language.

So, to start, you need to figure out what you have.
    You would do this by first extracting the iso to a directory. I'll use c:\win8\ as an example.
    I'll use c:\mnt\ as the mount directory, and c:\temp\ for output files like the package list and export stuff.

Then you mount and list the packages and point the output of a packagelist to a file.
    This goes something like this:
    Code:
    dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\win8\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\mnt
    dism /image:c:\mnt /get-packages>c:\temp\boot-wim-1-list.txt

:::Now look in the text file for the exact packages of all packages that list the undesirable languages, in your case it :::would be something like de-DE, fr-FR, en-US, or en-GB. It has a big package name, but you can cut and paste things :::into a remove scriptlet.
    :::To remove english (US) from the boot.wim index 1, you would use the following commands on a default boot.wim:

dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:Microsoft-Windows-WinPE-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-EnhancedStorage-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-IbsProvider-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-Scripting-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-SecureStartup-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-SRT-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-WDS-Tools-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384
    dism /image:c:\mnt /Remove-Package /PackageName:WinPE-WMI-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.2.9200.16384

::: It's possible you could copy the list and simply replace the x86 and en-US parts, but you would have to verify that :::your list had that as correct.
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\mnt /commit

Now repeat the process for boot.wim /index:2 except before the commit line, copy over a lang.ini that suits your needs to the /sources/ directory inside your c:\mnt\ mounted folder.

:::Typical en-us lang.ini file for both the boot.wim index2 and dvd \sources\ folder would contain the following:

[Available UI Languages]
    en-US = 3

[Fallback Languages]
    en-US = en-us

::: 3 denotes a full language pack, 2 would denote a partial, and fallback is what is inserted when it fails to find appropriate language; most notably in partial language packs.

Repeat the /get-packages process for /install.wim for all indexes you wish to remove, though it's just one package, not a bunch as the boot.wim has.

I would then re-export things to tidy up the files and re-compress them.
    You can do this with imagex, available for free in the Windows ADK tools, or just download gimagex v2 and use the export tab.

Export boot.wim index 1 to a new file c:\temp\boot.wim using either gimagex or the imagex command:
    imagex /compress maximum /export c:\win8\sources\boot.wim 1 c:\temp\boot.wim

:::repeat for 2 to have both on the same boot.wim like the original has...
    imagex /compress maximum /export c:\win8\sources\boot.wim 2 c:\temp\boot.wim

:::Then just replace the original.
    move /y c:\temp\boot.wim c:\win8\sources\

For install.wim you want to first know exactly how many indexes you are using. If you only use win8pro because you have an ei.cfg set to:
    [EditionID]
    Professional

Then you just need to find out which index the pro is, and just export that... If you have more than one index, you gotta find out which one it is... If it has a list, they will be in order from 1-end, but an easier way which I use, is to simply load gimagex v2 and load the export tab and select indexes from the option. It will simply list them all when you do that. Since you'd already have it up, you can just export it that way. Choose the correct install.wim index and then export to c:\temp\install.wim and set the compression to maximum. You don't need to rename, but you could.

Hmm I guess I didn't plan on typing all that... Just got carried away since I know most people probably wouldn't take the time and would just tell you to re-download. If you get stuck, you can bug me with a pm. Just try and solve things a bit yourself first.