remove xp from dual-boot with win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zaiko, Jan 7, 2010.

1. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I succesfully installed win 7 with xp. Later i want to remove win XP and that doesn't seem to be that easy!
    Here is the harddisk partition : (on a DELL PC)

- FAT 55 MB Hidden Primary
    D: NTFS 93 GB Active &Boot Primary
    - FAT 32 3 GB Hidden Primary
    E:Graphic NTFS 101 GB None Logical
    F: data NTFS 53 GB None Logical
    C:Other OS NTFS 48 GB System Logical

So the C is windows 7 and D win XP
    E and F are data

I know there are a lot of bright experts who can help me with this !
    I'm using partition wizzard home edition.

thnx a lot

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    In Win7 go to "Administrative tools / Disc management". This will give you a display of how your drives are partitioned. Right click on D: , and select "Format". When prompted click ok.

Next, shutdown and reboot using your win7 install disc. Select repair and when presented with some options select "command prompt".
    Once in command prompt type the following:
    Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Reboot and you should be done. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    D doesn't let me format .It's greyed out! Maybe because the partition is system,active ?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Ok. boot from the win7 disc and select repair, then command prompt. Run this:

C:\ (hit enter)
    Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd (hit enter)

This will scan all hard discs for compattible installations and will give you the option to select which OS's are added to the BCD store. Choose only win7. once you have done this you will have basically rebuilt the BCD Store and created a new master boot record.

reboot withouth the win7 disc. Then go "Adminidtrative tools / disc management" , and you should be able to re-format the old partition D: .

Hope this gets you sorted. :D:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #5 zaiko, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    (OP)
    thnx for the replies but would EasyBCD 2.0 be an option ? (to do what you meant instead of booting ) I have the app but didn't use it !

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Im sure that Easy BCD is another option. Personally ive not used it though, i just go through the command prompt method. :D

7. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Yes u can use EasyBCD

8. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I did it all the time using easybcd v1.72 !
    make sure reboot first then you can foramt XP partition.

9. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    sorry but I don't understand , how do I start ?
    Use easybcd in win 7 and what do I do first ?

Attached Files:

10. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I have been thinking ! What if I just do a clean install of win 7 on the win XP partition ? Would that give bootproblems ? Or will I have a dual-boot but then with 2 win 7 partitions ?

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Click "add / remove", delete "entry#1" reboot. Now reformat the old partition and you're done. :D:D

12. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Yes you will have 2 Win7 partitions. You dont want that do you ? :D ;)

13. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #14 zaiko, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    (OP)
    No but is it then not easier to delete the first installed win 7 without any boot problems ? Or can I keep one win 7 for my son (instead of using useraccounts)

and what do you mean with "add/remove " entry #1 , in msconfig ? (there I only see win 7 no xp)

14. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Personally i would not have 2 installs of win7. Cannot see the point. Much easier to have user accounts.......perhaps your son may boot into your install of 7 and mess with your stuff. ;)

Can we be clear which method or application you want to use to get rid of the old XP partition ? :)

15. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    User accounts are the far better option than installing two Win7 on the same pc...

click on "Add / Remove Entries" in EasyBCD.

16. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I prefer to do a clean install on the xp partition and then remove the first installed win 7 . Can you guide me trough this process?
    A thousand thanks !
    What would one do without a forum ?

17. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Or click on the Win7 orb ( start button ) type cmd -> right click on cmd.exe and select "Run As Administrator". In the elevated cmd type: bcdedit /delete {ntldr} /f. Finally reboot and ur done.

18. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #19 alextheg, Jan 9, 2010
    @Zaiko.

But then you will be back to the same point you are at now.

As there is only 1 entry in "msconfig", ignore that option. You have two choices:
    1. Boot using win7 install disc, select "repair". Choose "command prompt".
    Type "C\:" hit enter
    Type " Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd" hit enter.
    Hard discs will be scanned for windows installs, ie: XP Win7 and the drive letters associated to them. Now you choose only the drive letter of the win 7 install to add to the Bcd Store. This means at boot time the only version of windows to be chosen will be Win7. Reboot the machine and you're done. Now you can format he old XP partition .

2. Click "add/remove entry", in Easy BCD. Remove "entry#1", the one referring to XP. Reboot and then format the old XP partition.

Hope this clears things up a bit. :D:D

19. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    #20 zaiko, Jan 9, 2010
    (OP)
    Is then XP removed and I'll boot directly in the excisting win 7 ?
    And data partitions will be there as well ?

So which process is now the best :from secr9tos or alextheg ? The one from secr9tos looks the simplest but the one from alextheg looks also allright !