Removed media player from wim, but needed for certain games, how can I bypass/install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryouga, Oct 27, 2014.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I tried a old game that told me when it booted that since media player was missing sounds wouldnt work(and it ended up having no music just sound effects)

Not sure if its the same reason but another game I have crashes seconds after startup that I had no problems with before.

Anyway the reason I removed media player was I use VLC and K lite and to lower iso size.

Is there a way to bypass it as I have loads of codecs already or install a very basic old version(using 7 HP x64) as again I have the codecs just enough so the game has sound.

Also I tried installing latest version and it told me the update was not suitable.

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Windows is known for using shared program elements in what appear to be unrelated functions. You may be experiencing a shared resource problem.

If you completely removed WMP, you may have removed code needed by some other parts of Windows. That's one reason Windows allows for certain features to be hidden only. You can "remove" Media Player via "Turn Windows Features On and Off", but they're really still there. But even then, Windows warns you sometimes about unintended consequences.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    There appears to be some problem, I cannot add it in the add or remove features part and if I run wmp fix it it tells me it is uninstalled and when it goes to the next page it says no issues found.

I hope a simple registry key will work really.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    My WAG would be something is damaged. If there is a simple registry key fix maybe somebody has it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...