Removed storage drive and can't boot. Windows 8.1 System Volume Information prob?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sprtfan, Dec 2, 2013.

1. sprtfan

sprtfan MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    I have a 120GB SSD boot drive and a 1.5TB drive I use for storage and a 640GB drive I keep most of my programs on. I removed the 1.5TB storage drive and my computer comes up with a message that I need to select drive to boot to or insert bootable media. (something close to this at least). Once I put the 1.5TB storage drive back in it booted fine.

I had already moved all of the data off the drive but noticed that 61GBs were still being used. I selected show system files from folder options and there is a Recycle folder and System Volume Information folder. I was guessing it was being used for restore points but I'm not sure if I understand why removing it would keep the system from booting.

The System and Recovery partitions are on the SSD and are not located on the Storage drive that I tried to remove. I know that those would cause a problem if removed but I'm not seeing why the System Volume Information folder does.

How can I remove this drive and still be able to boot?

2. SkaterStu

SkaterStu MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
    Set your bios correctly, boot order etc. I had this problem the other day when I reset my bios it's nothing serious just keep trying with your bios :)

3. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    It's likly that SkaterStu-aswer does the trick but also check if you have left any DVD/USB-Sticks etc. They could be connecting wise earlier connected so they are ranked before the SSD. The best way to avoid these situations are that you disable all other drives but the SSD to be included in the boot order. Alsmost all moder BIOSes letting you do this.

When you do a real reinstall of Windows I use following methodes to be on the right side:

1. Unplug every unsused HDD, SSD or other StorageDevice such USB-drives, DVD/CD/Blue-Ray etc. If you have a DVD(or whatever optical Medium) as a install-medium you have to let the DVD(or what ever)-drive pluged in as it is!
    2. In the BIOS under the Boot-Settings only list the designated boot-drive in the boot-order
    3. Almost every modern BIOS let you select the drive from which you want to boot. Often the F8-key to select the drive to boot your install-medium. If you don't have this option in your BIOS (which is rare nowerdays) you have to put the drive you boot your install-medium from in first place in the boot-order.
    4. Put in the install-medium (to boot from a USB-thumb-drive should be prefered - faster installs than from DVD!) and boot from it preferably with the F8-key.
    5. Fully install Windows to the point where you can use it in a normal way.
    6. Plug in all additional Drives, which you had unplugged in step 1.
    7. In the BIOS let the PC only boot up from the main drive you installed Windows on (= C:\) Don't allow any other drive to boot the PC from. This is also a (very light) security feature because the ability to boot regularly from another device than C:\ is highly uncommon. If you realy have to boot-up from another device you can use the F8-key (if the BIOS supports it)

This is the savest way to make sure that the MBR is written on the right device. If the MBR isn't written on your SSD (this could be the case on your rig) then you have to boot from an install-medium into a recovery console and repair/write a new MBR to the SSD and Windows will boot from now on regularly from the SSD. I think the repair-option on the Windows install-medium dedects such MBR-errors automaticaly and writes a regular and functioning MBR to the SSD.