RemoveWAT no longer effective?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stillnotgood, Apr 14, 2010.

1. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Dear friends

Here is what happens to me:
    I installed a recent Win7 (build 7600) with no internet connected, to be safe.
    Then I executed RemoveWAT 2.2.5.2 (the most recent, I guess) and then got the computer plugged to the internet. Updates were presented, but I did not allow any of them to be installed.

Well, it did not work. Still shuts down after some time.
    I guess Microsoft changed something and RemoveWAT does not work anymore, right?

Well, I have been trying loaders for days, with no success either. It seems that the brand of the computer is extremely important when dealing with loaders, and the brand of my computer (a Brazilian "Positivo") is just not listed. I tried others, but none worked.

Any ideas?

2. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    #2 gamepoint, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    i already read this post somewhere in this forum....have you tried daz loader?

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    When did you get that notification. What loader were you running? You can't have both installed at once. I'd suggest rearming first with cmd line "slmgr /rearm" then reboot then tell us where you stand

4. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Success?

At this moment I am celebrating a partial success. Here is what I have done:

1- I installed Win7 build 7600 and then tried 7loader by Hazar 1.6. The menu of OEM brand was a problem, since my computer is not listed there. I tried HP and it said Win7 was activated. But a couple hours later: shutdown.

2- Then I tried a serial number I found somewhere in the net. It said it was activated again. I ran the MS genuine test (a program from MS site) and it said I was genuine, actvated and approved. But a couple hours later: shutdown.

3- Then I reformatted the HD and reinstalled Win7. Tried 7loader again, choosing brand INTEL. Same result. Then I removed the activation.

4- I tried Daz Loader 1.6.9 and it did not work. As I recall, there was no “Install activation” button active to be pressed. I remember it seemed to have some sort of compatibility issue with my system.

5- I tried a different Loader I found somewhere. Menu of brands again, and I chose one of them randomly. Shutdown after some hours.

6- Reformatted and reinstalled Win7. Now I was trusting removeWAT 2.2.5.2, because it was a solution by which I did not have to select brands. Activation message was deleted from my “computer properties”, as expected. Few hours later: shutdown.

7- I gave up removeWAT (reinstalled WAT) and posted the message above. Meanwhile, a friend mentioned to me it worked for him with 7loader, choosing the first brand of the menu: ABIT. I tried this last night and the computer is not shutting down. GREAT.

Now I ask:

- I read here that this may last about a month, and then shutting down may begin again. Is that true?
    - Can I install updates freely? Are there some that I should avoid?
    - You mentioned Daz Loader, and I have seen a newer version (1.7.7). Is it a good choice for the future, should the problems start again? Will there be a menu of brands? (I am afraid to run it now, since things seem ok)

5. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Your issue cannot be activation related because Win7 RTM does not shutdown the system even if it is not activated at all.

The only versions that incorporate an automatic shutdown are the Release Candidate and Enterprise Evaluation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Well, I have been dealing with this build 7600 all the time, and shutdowns were my major problem (doesn't happen with XP, by the way - so, not a hardware issue). The Win7 description is below (I can't attach images here):
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1 (Build 7600)

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If it is a real build 7600 then it wouldn't shut down, however it could be that you have RC tokens installed and maybe thats whats triggering the system. I can't say without testing but I would suggest you run sfc /scannow and then do a fresh install of either RemoveWAT or a loader.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks Daz!
    But should I run sfc now that my system seems ok? Do you foresee any problem?

9. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If it's working right now then I would leave it well alone, if however after a few updates it kicks off again then what I said above should hopefully solve it :)

10. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
  11. stillnotgood

stillnotgood MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2010
    Great, Daz! I will wait, then.