Removing All Default Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SightUp, Aug 5, 2015.

1. SightUp

SightUp MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I am looking for a way to remove all apps that come installed on Windows 10 by default. I do not only want to uninstall the few that are able to be removed, but I also want to remove the rest from the start menu. This includes Cortana and Edge. I just don't need them.

2. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    #2 sonic_8400, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You need to run powershell command to remove app.

Found this script here not sure what thread.. Work on win10 pro (when i was running Pro)
    Code:
    <#
    Use 'set-executionpolicy remotesigned' prior to running this script.
    #>

If (-NOT ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator"))

{   
    $arguments = "& '" + $myinvocation.mycommand.definition + "'"
    Start-Process powershell -Verb runAs -ArgumentList $arguments
    Break
    }

get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.3DBuilder                     | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Getstarted                    | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub            | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection  | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.SkypeApp                      | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsMaps                   | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingWeather                   | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Office.OneNote                | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.XboxApp                       | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.ZuneMusic                     | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.ZuneVideo                     | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingSports                    | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingNews                      | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsPhone                  | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingFinance | remove-appxpackage
    write-host "completed"
    Cortana:
    Code:
    Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Edge:
    Code:
    Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Edit powershell will not let you uninstall Cortana or edge you need to use install_wim_tweak.exe run line in IAmTheDude Spoiler

Edit:List of package that can't be remove:

Microsoft.BioEnrollment10.0.10240.16384_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_1000.10240.16384.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.ZuneVideo_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Windows.MiracastView_6.3.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

But you might want to look into Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N it has no App (like Cortana and Edge).. But downside can only be activate by kms or valid key..

This post talk about it hxxp://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/63112-LTSB-Enterprise-N-Pure-Desktop-version-Flexible-update-behaviour-no-Modern-Apps

3. IAmTheDude

IAmTheDude MDL Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #3 IAmTheDude, Aug 5, 2015
    Im in the middle of testing some removal at the moment.

I used MSMG's toolkit for the majority of them but had a play with install_wim_tweak.exe and was watching what each package was removing.

Theres three packages for Cortana but only one removes the folder from /WindowsApps

Code:
    x64
    Microsoft-Windows-Cortana-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~10.0.10240.16384

x86
    Microsoft-Windows-Cortana-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.10240.16384

And this removes Edge from /WindowsApps

Code:
    Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser-Package

Bear in mind I removed them from a offline .wim and havnt tested these on an clean install or live system yet as am just finalizing my builds.

Im hesitant to remove anything else related to them like the other Cortana packages in case they are required by anything else but these are the ones that removed the exe and files etc from the folders.

4. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Do you guys have a way to add these back individually?

My edge crashes so i want to remove it and add it back to see if it fixes it.

What would be the code to remove edge and the code to re-add it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #5 jupp, Aug 5, 2015
    Regarding Cortana and Edge.. At least in online mode it seems you can't remove these packages so easily. :mad:

Code:
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Select-Object -Expand PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
    Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFA, Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007
    3CFA)
    error 0x80070032: AppX Deployment Remove operation on package Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.152_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy from: C:\Windows\Syst
    emApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy failed. This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis. An administrator ca
    n attempt to remove the app from the computer using Turn Windows Features on or off. However, it may not be possible to uninstall the app.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] ccc94eec-cf91-0006-374f-c9cc91cfd001 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -Ac
    tivityID ccc94eec-cf91-0006-374f-c9cc91cfd001
    At line:1 char:85
    + ... .Cortana | Select-Object -Expand PackageFullName | Remove-AppxPackage
    +                                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (Microsoft.Windo...l_cw5n1h2txyewy:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

It would be nice to remove these in online mode as well if possible though. Maybe someone knows how to archieve that? yes, just manually removing is possible i already tried but this is a ghetto-way. :biggrin:

6. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    @jupp I guess you try rename the Cortana folder in C:\Windows\SystemApp\ (you have to kill the Cortana task in Task Manager)
    @Simpuhl if Remove-AppxPackage work you should be able to run Add-AppxPackage but it faill... Edge is buggy it crash on login to office365 email:g:

7. jupp

jupp MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    #7 jupp, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    nope. i just deleted cortana and other s**ttz from C:\Windows\SystemApp\ i don't need or use. no cortana was running of course. it works, but then you'll have a couple of crap entries in start menu. i haven't found a way to remove these yet.. no other mentionable problems/side effects noticed yet by doing this. so, i'm guessing all this "modern" crappage can be safely totally removed but we have to find perfect way to archieve this. now i'm gonna remove all unneeded stuff in offline mode next. let's see..

//update
    all this crapload including cortana, edge, feedack, contact support etc. among with the othed unwanted bloat can be easily and cleanly removed in offline mode. either using install_wim_tweak or dism. problem solved!

8. SightUp

Aug 17, 2010
    I might look into that!

In the mean time, here is the error I am getting.

get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.3DBuilder | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage : Access is denied.
    Access is denied.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.3DBuilder ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetApp
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Getstarted | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Getstarted ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Get-AppxPackage], UnauthorizedAccessException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.UnauthorizedAccessException,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.GetApp
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollectio ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.SkypeApp | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.SkypeApp ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsMaps | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsMaps ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingWeather | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingWeather ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    xPackageCommand

PS C:\Users\Boxxy> get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Office.OneNote | remove-appxpackage
    Access is denied.
    + get-appxpackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Office.OneNote ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to delete half of this because it said I had imgs in the post.

9. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    #9 sonic_8400, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    @SightUp Did you run 'set-executionpolicy remotesigned' (i did set-executionpolicy Unrestricted ) prior to running this script.

My guess you did not have this in ps1 file:
    Which run it as admin..

10. SightUp

Aug 17, 2010
    Oh, so when I open PS, I copy and paste the quoted and hit Enter or is that two different commands?

Then do the rest?

11. SightUp

Aug 17, 2010
    NVM, I got it! Thanks!

12. SightUp

Aug 17, 2010
    Sorry! So this is actually 3 commands, right? 1st being the Use 'set-executionpol..., 2nd being the If (-NOT ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal][S..., and 3rd being the { $arguments = "& '" + $myinvocatio..., right?

13. sonic_8400

sonic_8400 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    #13 sonic_8400, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    First run cmd as admin
    type powershell
    then type set-executionpolicy remotesigned
    It will ask you to verify Select yes by pressing Y
    type cd C:/Users/sonic_8400/desktop/ (change dir to to patch of script ex. on my desktop)
    type .\RemoveApp.ps1 (run the script the script is what you quota me above)
    It will ask you to verify Select yes by pressing Y

should look like this:
    C:\Windows\System32>powershell
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\System32> set-executionpolicy remotesigned

Execution Policy change
    <Lot of world and link here>
    Do you want to change the execution policy?
    [y] Yes [N] No Suspend [?] Help (Default is "Y"): y
    PS C:\Windows\System32> cd C:\Users\sonic_8400\desktop\
    PS C:\Users\sonic_8400\desktop> .\RemoveApp.ps1
    completed
    PS C:\Users\sonic_8400\desktop>