Removing previous loaders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Endlesskiss, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endlesskiss

Endlesskiss MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    I'm using RemoveWAT for the last three months and it works great, but just in case I will have to use Daz's loader...

I've installed 7Loader Release 4 by Orbit30 (like half an year ago) and I have no idea how to uninstall it (I know it's installed because when I tried Daz's loader and my windows was still not genuine).

Any idea how to do this? or rather, does anybody know if there's a tool which tells you if there's any loader\boot's before windows program installed on your computer?

Waiting for an answer,
    Adam.

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    To see if a loader is present you need to be able to see hidden system files - Tools->Folder Options->View in Windows Explorer.

If you have the "hidden" 100 mb system partition you need to give it a drive letter and look there - you should see something like grldr (for grub loader), win7ldr... or something else, maybe even a random name.

Using the startup repair function from the Windows DVD removes a loader from the boot sequence - there are many references to how to do this on these forums. I believe Daz's loader removes loaders via its Uninstall function but why not simply see if you can find the loader first?

When you re-install i suggest you do not cross match different types of activations - you never know if there are any unknown undesirable side effects.

My preference is a loader as it is a software only solution that works with Windows licencing functions - RemoveWAT is regarded as a hack by M$ and they are likely to go after it with more vigour. A loader simply inserts a SLIC table in memory at boot up for Windows to verify and the OS continues on without hacked system files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Endlesskiss

Endlesskiss MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    I see a file named grldr.bak and have no idea what's the meaning of it.

Is it a win7 loader or just the normal grub loader? does it mean I have any loader on my computer or I'm ready to use Daz's Loader?

Sorry for my ignorance...

4. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    If it is on a Win7 install it probably means that there is/has been a loader on your system - the ones that emulate SLIC BIOS tables for activation purposes - why it has a.bak extension I don't know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Endlesskiss

Endlesskiss MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2010
    So how do I remove it?

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    'Right click' on it, then select 'Delete' :)

BTW, Daz Loader has a uninstall function build into it...it will know if another loader is previously installed and should give you the option to uninstall it