Removing SystemApps and user WindowsApps THE RIGHT WAY with WIM Tweak

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 3, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
  2. NsaFarm

NsaFarm MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2017
    The OS runs better without shellexperienchost but then calendar and wifi break. Still looking for a solution.

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Still hoping someone will enlighten me on how to use WIM Tweak and why others managed to get rid of things like Cortana cleanly with WIM Tweak using the exact commands that do not produce the same result on my PC with UAC turned off.

Wi-Fi did not break for me from disabling ShellExperienceHost.exe. I only renamed the ShellExperienceHost.exe to ShellExperienceHost (no extension). I did the same for Cortana and some other things. Make sure Token service is running - disabling it messes up my Settings > Wi-Fi page for me.

MS did such a big mistake with the whole Store thing. Windows 10 is the fastest most-optimized OS and yet it would be so much better if it didn't come with Store-related crap that is so deeply engraved in it. With every new update they introduce services, drivers, tasks, etc. that do not even have a description or a valid name or something that doesn't look half-assed. I mean I could care less for file names, but its obvious that the original Windows 10 was in a way more polished than Anniversary Edition and definitely than Creator's Update.

4. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    There is a tweak for wifi but no tweak for clock anymore. So I kill shell experience, it doesn't run, no clock/calendar comes up.

WimTweak didn't want to remove cortana or that CloudHost thing. They would just re-install to systemapps right after. I did the same thing you did and got rid of the files. What does work is editing the image with NTlite and the toolkit here.

Between them I removed everything now. Next install will not have cortana anymore. I think that 4.6.1 is the latest version but this is an old utility from like 2015 and windows 10 changed. Enterprise LTSB has no store so I can't say much about that. Without shell experience it runs just like 7 or I guess 8.1, just way more stuff to rip out.

5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    problem with shell exp host is you loose more than close etc, you can't right click on taskbar items to close them.

6. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    I want to remove Settings and Control Panel. Is this the right thread to ask for help?

7. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    I tried wimtweak in safe mode. On LTSB 2016 it does not remove anything, just installs right back. Doesn't bode well for: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/63874-REPO-Windows-10-TELEMETRY-REPOSITORY

Despite the sarcasm? those don't run all the time and its such a simple policy edit. Supposedly Microsoft is taking out the control panel for you in a later build.

Yep more unintended consequences. Settings and mostly everything else works though. I could even pin to the start menu by dragging items to it. This file needs some replacement like the xp themes of old.

What I can say with some confidence is that windows 10 requires more effort than android to clean up. None of the online tools are giving me what I want.

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    No need to run in safe mode :g:. It also needs the correct names for the packs to remove, tool will show 3 stages (registry editing, package removal and pending flag removal). The actual uninstall is done during next reboot.

Have removed cortana amd most search related features and nothing got reinstalled so far :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    MSMG Toolkit and clean install > Install OS and remove things afterwards.
    When I use MSMG everything gets removed and there is no folders of the apps left.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    For the WinSxs packages it makes no difference, i still prefer to have untouched media (more versatile) and tweak it afterwards, depending on users needs/preferences.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    MSMG will run online? I only used it offline on images.

wimtweak showed all stages and yet the package came back right away before a reboot, even the one from JAG. What FINALLY worked:

Had to copy the machine DB, take ownership (or sqlite says its encrypted) and then copy it back with runasTIplus. Then remove-appxpackage removed everything cleanly using the FULL name. I marked all packages so it can probably remove immersive control panel and everything else. Now in theory it should not return on SFC check. Enterprise shouldn't get the creator's update so I think it won't come back.

Thing is there are more cortana packages in the wimtweak list and for some reason services "User_data_acces_fljsf" and "Sync Host_dlsfjlfd" got created at runtime and had to be disabled with regedit.
    I had all that stuff removed from the image or so I thought.

Eset only reports the certificate update/windows update/kms connecting out so I think nothing else should be phoning home. I could connect a firewall in between to check.

12. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I do not understand the whole inbox no box thing and how to do it. Not everyone here is an advanced tweaking guru! Have you managed to remove Shell Experience Host?

13. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Same here. I remember trying nLite with Windows XP - it broke things, but there was no way to restore them because they were not there in the first place...

14. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    Its a database of all the apps and you set the "this is part of the OS" flag to 0. You copy running as trusted installer, edit (as anyone), overwrite as trusted installer.

Sure I can remove experience but then I lose some necessary things (right click/calendar). Mainly it will keep SFC from re-installing that crap since its removed "properly".. so I hope.

Untouched media is nice to start but removing the W10 stuff was a pain and frankly it can stay gone. On W7 licensed NTlite will remove Action Center and Error reporting online, what else will? I don't see those options in Jat or anything else. Everything lets you turn "features" off which are already in the windows dialogs.

15. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    I finally got wimtweak to remove something. Used the one out of JAT.

install wim tweak /o /l
    install wim tweak /o /c Microsoft-OneCore-UserDataAccess
    install wim tweak /h /o /l

then reboot right away and you should see "updating components" at shutdown and next start. The last list it generates will still show the packages as there.

For cortana and the other "IsInbox" apps, you probably have to edit the component database and remove the flag no matter how you try to delete it.

16. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  17. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007

Mmmm.... Where do I access that database and do all this inbox and no box and etc? How do you copy as Trusted Installer? I am even more confused... Is this for creating an image before clean OS install or removing already installed OS packages? Do I need some programs to do any of this? I am lost...

18. NsaFarm

Mar 29, 2017
    DB is at: c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\StateRepository-Machine.srd
    RunasTI: krakatoa.www3.cz/runastiplus.php
    Sqlite: sqlitebrowser.org/

All done on a live install.

I have one cortana package left in wim tweak because text to speech/narrator ondemand pack was integrated into my iso by the uploader. I'm not sure how to remove it. The app uninstalled fine and doesn't run or re-install even if the files get put back by wimtweak. So maybe someone else knows how to remove zombie cortana.

It appears possible to cut down an installed system or to remove the files from the ISO before setup. Shell experience now only runs if you click the clock or some modern app and then closes when you're done.
    I found another trick too, if you edit the registry so that time broker doesn't start, no modern apps will run. Its not practical but a nice low effort way to try modern free windows out.

19. annapurna

annapurna MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2017
    I think you have to wait few years and everithing meant to give some control to users will vanish.

Steeve Jobs will laugh from the hell seeing every company apeing his ideas.

20. finderz

finderz MDL Member

Dec 20, 2009
    so true. Nowadays software we pay for we don't exactly own it, we were just paying a royalty fee in leasing it.