Removing the Libraries desktop icon

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by man0ir, Mar 24, 2015.

1. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Hi there!

A "Libraries" desktop icon just appeared on my work computer.

I can't remove it with the Delete key or with the Desktop icons settings window (pictured below).

Paramètres des icônes du Bureau.png

Last time I tried to Google to remove it, I deleted something in the registry but it also deleted the Libraries section in Windows Explorer, which I'd like to keep.

Bibliothèques.png

How should I do?

And how can it come back from time to time? The same happens with Policies, even though I remove all authorisations to the registry folders.

Thanks! :)

2. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #2 Aninvitedsoul, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can save this as reg.fix , merge to remove Libraries desktop icon:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
    "{031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    It works, thanks. But it's strange that I'd need such a fix, right? Isn't there another way, with GPOs for instance?

4. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    #4 Aninvitedsoul, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Elevated CMD:

Code:
    REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel /V {031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5} /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu /V {031E4825-7B94-4DC3-B131-E946B44C8DD5} /T REG_dWORD /D 1 /F

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe

start explorer.exe

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Thank you, but in fact I'd like to find out how my IT department puts this icon on my desktop and block this. Is there a way to do this?

6. caleyd

caleyd MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2011
    Your IT department likely did not put the icon there. A Windows Update may have triggered the change.
    I have had this happen to several of my PC's. Blame Microsoft for forcing the thing on us!

7. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    You're welcome,MDL members and staff are here to help you any time. In my opinion,why would your IT department do something like that.And if you think so why don't you simply ask them! As long as you problem is solved;you are the winner.;)

8. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    Concerning the IT department.I do agree with you.But to my personal experience,I don't know which update that would cause such case.I even looked for the reason behind that issue and I didn't find a specific reason behind the problem.May be some of our Peers give us an answer.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    That's strange, but not the only icon this can happen with. Sometimes the Homegroup icon does the same.

10. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    I had homegroup icon issue on Win 8 start up but it disappeared merely refreshing the desktop.!

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Correct, but once in a blue moon, it decides to stay. Certainly persistent bugger when that happens. After some time/reboots, it usually vanishes on its own. I now simply ignore it.

12. man0ir

man0ir MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2014
    Thank you all for your answers.

You know how some IT departments are, they are often stubborn and like to use their power. I'm more skilled than most of the technicians, but they really don't like when I suggest them "a" (not to say "the") solution. They're really not good in my company.

For instance, they don't connect company Macs to the general VLAN and to the Internet, and give a second Windows PC to the film editors, because Macs are "insecure". But there's absolutely nothing preventing visitors or contractors from connecting their personal Macs to the same network. Which happens all the time, without any consequence. Isn't it a good example of an incompetent IT department?

Anyway I don't see how this Libraries icon appearing on the desktop would be related to Windows updates, as it reappears often, at the same time of the recovery of Policies I often delete myself, and as Microsoft never made this icon enabled by default, right?

But you're right, I'll try to find a kind person in the IT department and ask him to remove me from all those useless GPOs. I'm allowed to install softwares, I have to test some for my work, but company Policies doesn't allow me to uninstall them. But as I'm a local administrator, I can delete policies from the regedit. How dumb is that?